Scientist III, Neuroscience
Manager: VP, Neuroscience
Location: Richmond, CA
Sangamo Therapeutics is a genomic medicine company building value with cutting-edge work across four distinct but complementary technology platforms – gene therapy, cell therapy, in vivo genome editing, and in vivo genome regulation. At Sangamo, we are passionate in developing genomic medicines to transform the lives of patients with serious diseases. We transform lives by building a robust, sustainable, differentiated, innovative, and high value genomic medicine pipeline that addresses patients with life-limiting conditions. Sangamo takes pride in being the first to edit endogenous human genes, first to treat patients with gene edited T cells, and first to treat patients with in vivo genome editing. Our top priority is to meet the needs of patients with commitment and compassion.
Along with our commitment to science and to our patients, we also endeavor to create an inclusive environment that promotes and values diversity. Sangamo is a company where individuals can flourish, grow and develop their expertise.
We are seeking top talent to join our mission. Let’s build a better future together.
Sangamo Therapeutics is seeking an innovative scientist to support the development of genomic medicines for central nervous system (CNS) diseases. The successful candidate will contribute to the creation and advancement of novel therapeutics across our Neuroscience pipeline, with a particular focus on gene regulation and editing. This is a highly-collaborative, hands-on position at the interface of discovery and translational research activities. The position requires creativity, organization, leadership, attention to detail, excellent communication and presentation skills, and a capacity for constant innovation in pursuit of company goals.
- Create and develop innovative solutions to challenging disease targets in the CNS using our zinc finger protein (ZFP) platform
- Generate in vitro and in vivo target engagement and efficacy data to support the advancement of CNS targets through all stages of preclinical development
- Perform, analyze and document laboratory procedures with exceptional attention to detail
- Manage and support research studies with academic partners and/or contract research organizations
- Supervise a small team of talented research associates
- Closely collaborate with members of the discovery, technology, delivery and nonclinical teams
- Present results internally to R&D and executive leadership teams and externally at scientific conferences
- Publish results in leading scientific journals and contribute to related patent filings
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIREMENTS:
- Ph.D. in Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, Neuroscience or related discipline
- 5+ years of relevant industry or post-doctoral experience. Level will be determined by experience and skills
- Expertise in molecular biology including cloning, quantitative PCR, and next generation sequencing methods
- Proficiency in mammalian tissue culture, preferably primary and iPSC-derived cells
- Experience with high throughput assay design and implementation
- Experience working on gene regulation technologies a plus
- Experience working on transcriptional or chromatin biology a plus
- Experience in gene therapy and working knowledge of AAV is a plus
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills
- Exceptional interpersonal skills
- Ability to train and mentor research associates
- Ability to lead a project team as well as work independently
- Dedicated, hard-working, and dependable
Sangamo is an equal opportunity employer
The above reflects management’s definition of essential functions for this position but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. The above duties are representative only; management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time.