Manager: Director, EHS
Sangamo Therapeutics is a genomic medicine company building value with cutting-edge work across four distinct but complementary technology platforms – gene therapy, cell therapy, in vivo genome editing, and in vivo genome regulation. At Sangamo, we are passionate in developing genomic medicines to transform the lives of patients with serious diseases. We transform lives by building a robust, sustainable, differentiated, innovative, and high value genomic medicine pipeline that addresses patients with life-limiting conditions. Sangamo takes pride in being the first to edit endogenous human genes, first to treat patients with gene edited T cells, and first to treat patients with in vivo genome editing. Our top priority is to meet the needs of patients with commitment and compassion. Along with our commitment to science and to our patients, we also endeavor to create an inclusive environment that promotes and values diversity. Sangamo is a company where individuals can flourish, grow and develop their expertise.
We are seeking top talent to join our mission. Let’s build a better future together.
Sangamo Therapeutics is seeking an Environmental, Health & Safety Specialist to join our team in Brisbane, CA. Under the general direction of the EHS Director, this role will have operational responsibility and shall assist with planning, establishing, implementing, and maintaining a variety of occupational health, safety, and environmental programs and initiatives to assure the highest health and safety standards for employees. This role assists Sangamo to comply with applicable federal, state, and local health, safety, and environmental laws, regulations, and standards. Serve as a role model in establishing safe working practices and promoting safety culture in the workplace.
- Assist in implementing EHS programs and monitor activities for compliance with company policies and regulatory requirements (Cal/OSHA, EPA, RCRA, DOT).
- Implement biosafety, chemical safety, ergonomics and emergency response initiatives.
- Conduct monthly inspections of laboratory, manufacturing and administrative areas, formal and informal audits and walk-throughs.
- Implement and maintain LOTO program for manufacturing plant and non-manufacturing areas, coordinate training, maintain training records, onboarding and offboarding contractors.
- Coordinate the annual chemical inventory.
- Assist in incident reports, investigation of all work-related accidents, injuries and near-miss.
- Report deficiencies and oversee corrective actions in accordance with Sangamo EHS policy.
- Assist in daily lab safety activities, equipment safety and safety training. Identify risks and mitigate unsafe practices.
- Facilitate safety committee meetings.
- Assist in incidents requiring emergency response, First-aid/CPR, AED, evacuation drills and alarm tests. Follow up on employee safety questions.
- Assist in maintaining regulatory documentation, records, logs and MSDS On-Line database.
- Assist in maintenance of hazardous materials business plan.
- Maintain confidentiality of all information obtained, written or verbal that becomes available as a part of performing EHS functions.
- Assist in all other EHS miscellaneous activities as needed.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIREMENTS:
- BS or MS in EHS related discipline or equivalent experience and qualification
- EHS Experience: 4-6 years.
- Biotech or Pharma Manufacturing: 1-2 year experience in manufacturing processes and operation.
- Experience in laboratory safety, biosafety, chemical safety and occupational safety
- Proficient in use of Microsoft suite and MSDS online.
- Excellent interpersonal, customer service and influencing skills.
- Able to handle multiple priorities and perform effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- Work productively with others at various technical and management levels.
- Enhance performance level through training as required.
- Maintain knowledge of federal, state and local regulations.
- Be able to wear different types of respiratory protection as needed.
- Ability to perform the physical demands of the role; standing, kneeling, ability to lift, move, and pull 25 pounds etc.
- Follow Sangamo policies and protocols.
Sangamo is an equal opportunity employer
The above reflects management’s definition of essential functions for this position but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
The above duties are representative only; management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time.