Regional Area Medical Head - LATAM
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Regional Area Medical Head is a high-profile leadership role, with principal responsibility for leading and building our LATAM medical organization. Working closely with the global GAMA functions to ensure international needs are met the Area Medical Head will act as a facilitator of interactions between the region and Global functions to reduce complexity and make appropriate connections.
This position is a key thought partner within the region to collaborate with commercial functions, Clinical Development and Regulatory to ensure appropriate resource deployment to develop and execute plans needed to grow the key markets within LATAM.
The Area Medical Head will lead and collaborate in International and Global projects to standardize and simplify the organization to enable Medical Excellence in International Markets.
Leadership and Management of Country Medical Directors and their teams
- Recruit and retain a team of high performing Medical Directors and field based Medical Affairs professionals, providing coaching, mentoring and leadership.
- Support the development of aligned Country medical plans with clear KPIs milestones and deliverables.
- Support a people development culture to enable everyone to reach their full potential.
- Ensure that the regional medical team executes all plans with strict adherence to applicable company standards, policies and procedures and any country legislations or regulations maintaining high medical and ethical standards in all activities.
- Substitute for Country Medical Director when vacancies arise.
International CMO Leadership
- Collaboration with Global Evidence & Value, Global Aesthetics Medical Affairs, Global Patient Safety and Global Medical Affairs Operations to ensure global medical functions meet the needs of the countries.
- Collaboration with Clinical Development & Regulatory to facilitate delivery of development and growth plans.Lead and collaborate on International/Global Medical Affairs projects to drive excellence in the CMD role, MSL execution and Medical Affairs activities.
Region Leadership Team membership representing Global CMO
- Partner with the regional cross-function team to ensure the continued success of the organization and scientific competitive leadership of Allergan Aesthetics products.
- As a member of Regional Leadership team, provide input and support for the operation of the Allergan Aesthetics organizations.
- Engage with top tier country opinion leaders, academic centers and external organizations representing company leadership.
- Doctor of Medicine degree (MD), Pharmacist or PhD
- Minimum 10 years broad pharmaceutical or biopharmaceutical industry experience
- Country/Regional Medical Affairs leadership experience
- Relevant country/region experience desirable.
- Relevant therapeutic area knowledge experience desirable.
- Ability to travel upto 40% (to include international travel)
Essential Skills, Experience, and Competencies
- Demonstrated ability to participate within an executive team and contribute to the development and implementation of winning strategies for the company overall with high integrity and strong work ethic.
- Presence and credibility to establish and maintain productive relationships with a variety of audiences with an interest in the company including government regulators, the scientific community and other key stakeholders.
- Driving high standards; tenaciously working to meet or exceed challenging goals; defining success by goal achievement and continuous improvement.
- Providing feedback, instruction, and development guidance to help others excel in their current or future job responsibilities, planning and supporting the development of individual skills and abilities.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to communicate effectively in local language and English, written and verbal.
- Initiating and maintaining strategic relationships with stakeholders and potential partners inside and outside the organization,
- Demonstrated understanding of drug development, deep practical knowledge of Good Clinical Practice and commercialization processes, have sound and current knowledge of the legal and regulatory requirements and a solid understanding of trial design and methodology,
- Recent experience in launching new innovative products and supporting access for patients,
- Demonstrated problem solving skills - including taking ownership to ensure timely resolution, a strong sense of urgency, keen attention to detail, and the ability to plan, organize and successfully execute in an environment under time and resource pressures. Must be focused and able to meet tight timetables.
- Establishing systems and processes to attract, develop, engage, and retain talented individuals; creating a work environment where people can realize their full potential, thus allowing the organization to meet current and future business challenges.
Significant Work Activities
Yes, 5 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.