Project Engineering Manager
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Provides managerial oversight of the AbbVie Irvine Campus Facilities project portfolio. This includes executing projects and providing oversight of contract Project Managers to ensure that the team properly plans, executes and finalizes capital projects in accordance with project schedules, budgets and deliverables. This role is integral in creating and managing short- and long-term capital budgets and forecasting and reporting on cash flows related to projects.
- Responsible for compliance with applicable policies and procedures. Ensures quality and effectiveness of key results of major projects within function through sound design, early risk assessments, and implementation of fallback strategies.
- Responsible for managing a $12M project portfolio.
- Manages others by sharing knowledge and expertise and providing feedback and guidance. Establishes relationships and good communication channels with customers, documents agreements and commitments. Acts as a trusted advisor. Balances bottom line objectives of a project with the long-term interest of customer.
- Has full awareness of the potential consequences (defects and failure modes) of design changes to established processes. Mitigates risk within functions through sound design, early risk assessments and implementation of fallback strategies.
- Develops, plans, coordinates and directs engineering aspects of projects of major scope and importance. Manages multiple, complex, often concurrent projects and meets expectations across multiple sites. Understands the business needs and has a thorough knowledge of the customer when developing a project scope.
- Incorporates business foresight of emerging technological trends. Leads development of Project Charter and documents the initial requirements that satisfy the stakeholders needs and expectations. Establishes engineering project objectives and technical criteria for evaluating project results and activities of the project team.
- Uses established PM tools and techniques (FEP, Cash Flow Projections, Scope / Schedule Control, etc.) to stay within authorized budget limits and achieve the overall project and organizational objectives. Contributes to the development of project management best practices. Directs and manages Project Execution by performing the work defined in the project plan to achieve project objectives.
- Defines roles and responsibilities. Monitors and controls project work to meet the performance objectives defined in the project plan. Focuses on cost and milestone achievement to optimize resource utilization. Reviews change requests, manages and approves changes to the deliverables, organizational process assets, project documents, and the project plan.
- Closes the project by finalizing all activities across all the Project Management Work Streams to formally complete the project or phase. Directs others in the execution of the design of products / processes / equipment / systems / facilities by applying engineering methods, concepts and techniques. Ensures the project design complies with all engineering standards, project objectives and customer needs. Conceptualizes complete solutions.
- Creates or coordinates the solutions for complex problems; integrates regulatory and operational needs; performs cost / benefit analysis. Explores multiple alternatives. Seeks input from cross functional teams in resolving major project hurdles. Resolves problems and crisis situations requiring fast, astute decisions with rapid implementation by utilizing technical training and /or experience.
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, science, or closely related discipline is required, or equivalent technical experience plus demonstrated competence,
- Has a career history marked by a consistent series of technical con
- with a required 8+ years of significant engineering, project management and operational experience. A post-graduate education / degree is desired, and may contribute towards the desired years of experience.tributions and accomplishments. Significant contribution to product or process development or improvement through creative application of technical effort will equally be recognized.
- Possesses a strong technical knowledge and application of concepts, practices, and procedures. Works on problems of complex scope where analysis of situations or data involves multiple competing factors. Exercises judgment and advises management as to the appropriate actions.
- Interacts well with diverse groups within engineering and maintains strong working relationships with internal and external collaborators.
- Listens to and understands others' points of view and articulates tactfully and respectfully one's own perspective orally, in writing, and in presentations.
- Works well with other engineers in a collaborative, fast-paced goal-driven environment.
- Possesses interpersonal skills to negotiate and reconcile differences.
- Has a technical background in health care, medical devices, pharmaceutical, biologics, or similar industries (preferred).
- Has demonstrated competency with financial systems and in fiscal control.
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.