Junior Tax Counsel
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Job title: Jr. Tax Counsel Position
The Junior Tax Counsel will assist the Tax function primarily with support for tax planning (U.S. federal and international tax) and M&A initiatives related to strategic business objectives and department goals, the documentation and defense of tax positions taken through assembly and preparation of workpapers and other supporting files, coordination of interactions with tax authorities, research and writing, and substantive and quantitative analysis of tax risks and opportunities. The Junior Tax Counsel reports to the Tax Counsel and interacts regularly with personnel inside and outside of the Tax team.
- Assist in the development and execution of sophisticated planning initiatives that are aligned with key business strategies and tax department goals.
- Develop and maintain step plans depicting transaction macro steps and US and foreign tax considerations, with input from tax team members and external advisors where necessary.
- Coordinate with Tax Operations teams to create models computing US and foreign tax consequences of projects and demonstrate an ability to communicate impacts of transactions to team members and leadership.
- Build strong relationships within the tax team, and partner with the Transfer Pricing, Tax Operations and Tax Center of Excellence, and International Tax team members.
- Demonstrate a global mindset; communicate and collaborate with cross-functional team members and affiliates around the world.
- Research complex tax issues related to tax planning initiatives and provide audit support.
- Monitor and analyze final and proposed tax legislation; identify areas for opportunity or development.
- Coordinate interactions between the Tax function and the IRS examiners.
- Gather and review for accuracy and completeness relevant information and draft responses to information requests from the IRS and certain tax authorities outside the US.
- Assisting to develop and maintain a consistent process for assembling and filing workpapers and other supporting files for all material tax positions taken, for quick retrieval when needed for financial statement auditors, tax authorities, and other internal or external stakeholders.
- Preparing documentation after developing relevant facts, researching tax issues, and interpreting and applying tax laws, regulations, and cases to facts.
- Assisting with a variety of other tax planning- and compliance-related tasks, arising within and outside the Tax department.
- Communicating clearly, concisely, and practically across stakeholders.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Accounting/Finance preferred
- JD required, with focus/interest in Tax
- 1-2 years big four or law firm experience a plus, but not required
- Strong Excel skills a plus, but not required
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.