Associate Director/ Director - Oncology Pipeline MSL and Innovations
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Oncology Pipeline MSL and Innovations Director drives strategic and tactical innovative projects within GMA Oncology, including the development and management of the pipeline MSL model, cross-TA external medical education and data dissemination, and external stakeholder management programs. This individual works closely with Areas/Affiliates, Medical Excellence teams and Oncology therapeutic area leads/heads and indication teams to coordinate and maximize medical innovations programs, as well as with other cross-functional teams including commercial teams to provide strategic medical input into core brand (product) strategies, and to support medical/marketing strategies and activities. This role will deliver strategic and scientific presentations; develops and maintains professional and credible relationships with key opinion leaders; actively participate in relevant Brand Team meetings and helps in the development of medical affairs strategies for oncology assets; provide relevant scientific and technical training.
- Lead and champion the optimization of the pMSL model through defining a global agile team structure, areas of focus, KPIs, best practice sharing and geographical deployment of resources to maximize enterprise priority studies and clinical trial sites coverage. Lead the coordination of the pMSL management through closely collaboration with GMA TA teams, Medical Field Excellence team as well as Area and Affiliate teams.
- Lead cross-TA Oncology Medical Education activity including global stand-alone events, preceptorship, congress strategy/symposia, as well as innovative programs that will optimize the digital transformation and outreach optimization of GMA deliverables.
- Lead coordination of the global external stakeholder group management tools and resources, in close alignment with Areas/Affiliates and HQ cross-functional teams.
- Supports medical affairs activities related to cross-asset/disease dissemination of data, identifying innovative opportunities to broaden the outreach and effectiveness of external communication.
- Interact with and coordinates appropriate scientific and medical activities with internal stakeholders (i.e., commercial, clinical operations, discovery, statistics, regulatory, etc…) as they relate to on-going medical affairs projects. Specifically, this role will build alignment with internal functional areas specific to the oncology area (e.g., legal, compliance, public affairs, government affairs, medical, health/economic outcomes, development, pharmacovigilance/safety), development of input/support for policy guidance and health policy initiatives.
- Keeps abreast of professional information and technology through conferences and/or medical literature and acts as a therapeutic area resource.
- May represent AbbVie at external meetings including investigator meetings, scientific association meetings, etc.
- May develop of scientifically accurate marketing materials, medical education programs, advisories, and symposia.
- Assists with the scientific review, development, approval, execution and communication of affiliate/area/global medical affairs sponsored or supported clinical research activities.
- Leads cross functional teams in development and execution of strategic initiatives requiring integration of multiple subprojects within the therapeutic area or Medical Affairs function
- Ensures budgets, timelines, compliance requirements are factored into programs' scientific activities. Works independently.
- Can address complex problems within discipline or across several projects. Exercises judgment within broadly defined practices and policies in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions. Works on complex problems in which analysis of situation or data requires an in-depth evaluation of various complex factors.
- Must be able to influence in a matrixed environment.
- Advanced degree (e.g. PhD, PharmD). Post doctorate experience highly preferred.
- Ability to provide input and direction to clinical research with appropriate supervision
- At least 10 years' of clinical trial experience in the pharmaceutical industry, academia, or equivalent, including Medical infield team experience in oncology. For the Associate Scientific Director level, typically 8 years’ experience in the pharmaceutical industry or equivalent is required; Substantial understanding of relevant therapeutic area is required.
- Experience with medical education digital platforms highly preferred
- Ability to oversee a clinical research program of moderate complexity with minimal supervision
- Ability to perform and bring out the best in others on a cross-functional global team
- Ability to interact externally and internally to support a global scientific and business strategy
- Knowledge of clinical trial methodology, regulatory and compliance requirements governing clinical trials and experience in development of clinical strategy and the design of study protocols
- Must possess excellent oral and written English communication skills
- Extensive knowledge of clinical trial methodology, regulatory requirements governing clinical trials, medical education standards and experience in strategy development.
- Must possess excellent oral and written English communication skills.
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 25 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.