Scientist - Structural Biology
Amgen is a leading global biotechnology company, with a mission to serve patients. As a science-based, patient-focused organization, we discover and develop innovative therapeutics to treat serious illness. Our medicines have made a dramatic difference in the lives of millions.
We are seeking a scientist to join the Structural Biology Department at our site in South San Francisco, CA. The Structural Biology laboratory provides comprehensive molecular insights and structure-based design for drug-target assessment, mechanism of action, protein-protein and protein-ligand interactions, as well as protein engineering to facilitate drug discovery across various therapeutic areas. The scientist will be part of a growing structure biology group and will be responsible for structure determination of target molecules using X-ray crystallography and/or cryo-electron microscopy. The candidate will be working closely with molecular biologists and protein biochemists in the protein expression group. The candidate will also interact directly with both small molecule and large molecule scientists including computational scientists, medicinal chemists, and protein engineers. The candidate must be flexible to apply her/his knowledge to new areas of study, with strong interpersonal and communication skills to thrive in a highly collaborative environment.
Doctorate degree with significant postdoc experience
Masters degree and 6 years of Structural Biology experience
- Ph.D with focus in Structural Biology
- Postdoc research experience in large macromolecular complexes and/or membrane proteins.
- Knowledge of state-of-the-art protein structural biology techniques including all aspects of construct design, expression, purification, characterization, crystallization, structure determination and analysis.
- Experience in single particle cryo-EM workflow including grid freezing and screening, data collection and processing, three-dimensional reconstruction and model building.
- Excellent presentation skills (written and oral) for effective team-based communication of results.
- Ability to work independently and effectively within timelines and to collaborate in a multidisciplinary environment.
- Skills in managing multiple projects and capability to prioritize.
Join UsIf you're seeking a career where you can truly make a difference in the lives of others, a career where you can work at the absolute forefront of biotechnology with the top minds in the field, you'll find it at Amgen.Amgen, a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancer, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses.As an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for people around the world, Amgen fosters an inclusive environment of diverse, ethical, committed and highly accomplished people who respect each other but compete intensely to win. Together, we live the Amgen values as we continue advancing science to serve patients.Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.Amgen will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.