Senior Manager Head of Pilot Plant Cambridge, MA
HOW MIGHT YOU DEFY IMAGINATION?
If you feel like youre part of something bigger, its because you are. At Amgen our shared missionto serve patientsdrives all that we do. It is key to our becoming one of the worlds leading biotechnology companies. We are global collaborators who achieve togetherresearching, manufacturing and delivering ever-better products that read over 10 million patients worldwide. Its time for a career you can be proud of. Join us.
Senior Manager Head of Pilot Plant, Cambridge MALive What you will do
Lets do this. Lets change the world. In this vital role you will lead the Cell Culture and Purification development operations of pipeline molecules and lifecycle management of existing products.
The Pilot Plant is a flexible, dynamic development space where Amgen enables innovation alongside development. This facility is largely comprised of single use systems and technologies resembling current and future next generation manufacturing platforms at Amgen. This space is also partially dedicated to testing and evaluating new technologies from area vendors to advance development of new product offerings. Science and engineering are the core of these teams function.
Amgen Pilot Plants perform frequent piloting of novel process operations, driving technology development and innovation, as well as executing bioprocessing operations. We produce sound, relevant data for the processes Amgen developments at meaningful scales that enable the rapid, successful transfer of our output to more dedicated manufacturing spaces. The Cambridge Pilot Plant will focus primarily on large molecule cell culture and purification operations, from vial thaw to completion of Drug Substance, and will also support innovation across Amgens entire spectrum. The environment is challenging, fast paced and ever changing but very rewarding for those that like hands on science and want to make process improvements in a development space.Responsibilities:
- Develop new manufacturing technologies through innovation and in collaboration with internal and external partners.
- Lead the overall team which comprises of an execution team as well as process and automation engineering functions
- Collaborate with other Amgen Pilot Plants to form alignment in business processes and strategies.
- Direct plant resources and staff to ensure area and plant performance goals are met, working with our Process Development customers to deliver upon their highest priority needs.
- Oversee translating bench scale bioprocessing science into manufacturing scale production methods to support the advancement of pre-clinical pipeline programs.
What we expect of youBasic Qualifications
Doctorate degree and 2 years of Manufacturing,Process Developmentor Operationsexperience
Masters degree and 6 years of Manufacturing,Process Developmentor Operationsexperience
Bachelors degree and 8 years of Manufacturing,Process Developmentor Operationsexperience
Associates degree and 10 years of Manufacturing,Process Developmentor Operationsexperience
High school diploma / GED and 12 years of Manufacturing,Process Developmentor Operationsexperience
2 years of managerial experience directly managing people and/or leadership experience leading teams, projects, programs or directing the allocation of resources
We are all different, yet we all use our unique contributions to serve patients. The Pilot Plant Head we seek offers these qualifications.
- MBA or Masters degree in engineering, life sciences, chemistry
- 10+ years of experience in implementing or supporting manufacturing, process development and/or engineering
- 7+ years leading staff in a development or manufacturing space
- 3+ years functional area leadership that include identifying goals, aligning resources, assigning tasks, communicating progress/achievements, developing cost/benefit analysis and negotiating problem resolution
- 2+ years of experience innovating process improvement, utilizing Operational Excellence tools and techniques (Catalyst, Lean Manufacturing) in a technical function
- Excellent communication and mediation skills, including executive level communications
- Experience in a matrixed/global environment at a large company and working in a team driven environment
- Ensure a safe environment where staff, support groups and visitors work in a world class Pilot Plant space
- Lead a team of scientists and engineers to deliver top notch development, processing and innovation results
- Drive innovation and technology development through experiments, technical reports, presentations and publications
- Mentor Process Teams by demonstrating strong, applied science and engineering subject matter expertise
- Work cross functionally with PD Process Teams across the full spectrum of large molecule modalities
- Work closely with the Amgen Pilot Plant Network to develop pilot plant operating strategies to meet a high demand and diverse set of programs and projects
- Define an operating strategy that meets the needs of the Pilot Plant customers
- Optimize Pilot Plant production performance to allow for fast, flexible processing of multiple product modalities performed in a variety of operating modes with varying durations
- Ensure that Pilot Plant capabilities and capacity are aligned with PDs current and future needs/expectations, driving expansion or adjustment as Amgen needs evolve
- Forecast future Pilot Plant resource needs including expense and capital budgeting, staffing and facility needs
- Provide high quality, visionary leadership to a team with further extended support staff
- Ensure functional organizational structure design capability that adapts to changing business needs with most support coming from contracted, external sources
- As the Pilot Plants most senior leader at Cambridge, you will make autonomous decisions for your organization and own the results, including setting strategy, establishing staff/team expectations and holding them accountable
What you can expect of us
As we work to develop treatments that take care of others, so we work to care for our teammates professional and personal growth and well-being.
- Vast opportunities to learn and move up and across our global organization
- Diverse and inclusive community of belonging, where teammates are empowered to bring ideas to the table and act
- Generous Total Rewards Plan comprising health, finance and wealth, work/life balance, and career benefits
for a career that defies imagination
In our quest to serve patients above all else, Amgen is the first to imagine, and the last to doubt. Join us.
careers.amgen.comEqual Opportunity Statement
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider you without regard to your race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request an accommodation.
Join UsIf you're seeking a career where you can truly make a difference in the lives of others, a career where you can work at the absolute forefront of biotechnology with the top minds in the field, you'll find it at Amgen.Amgen, a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancer, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses.As an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for people around the world, Amgen fosters an inclusive environment of diverse, ethical, committed and highly accomplished people who respect each other but compete intensely to win. Together, we live the Amgen values as we continue advancing science to serve patients.Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.