Executive Assistant, Legal
Essential Job Functions:
- Provide administrative support to and assist in the management of the operations of the Legal Department.
- Provide a bridge for smooth communication between the executive and internal members of the relevant Departments: Deliver effective communication and establish professional relationships.
- Coordinate and maintain effective office procedures and efficient workflow: track individual department members’ assignments and project statuses on an as needed basis.
- Responsible for the planning and coordination of meetings involving staff: schedule meetings, reserve conference rooms, preparation and distribution of meeting agendas and materials, coordinate audio visual equipment, and food needs.
- Effectively utilize travel and meeting policies and procedures to complete all aspects of travel: coordinate all aspects of team travel arrangements (domestic and international) and prepare travel itineraries; monitor and process travel or other expense reimbursement in a timely manner; and maintain calendar and monitor crucial due dates as required.
- Comply with policies and procedures and manage project timelines to ensure on-time performance.
- Draft and/or proof-read documents and presentations as needed utilizing a strong command of proper business writing and grammar. Adhere to document retention policies and procedures and follow an organized filing/document management process for electronic and paper documents.
- Collaborate with team on maintaining department budgets, process and track vendor engagement letters, contracts expenses and invoice processing (create, amend, and retire purchase orders). Conduct monthly reviews of budget with key legal stakeholders.
- Manage documents effectively from and to various software programs demonstrating a comfort level with various technologies and quickly learn technologies as necessary. Work effectively with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and other relevant software.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
- BS/BA degree highly preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years prior administrative work experience in a law firm or a similar setting supporting multiple attorneys.
- Legal Operations experience with execution of department strategic roadmap; coordinate and manage department budget, and support cross-functional collaboration.
- General understanding of fundamental legal concepts, and willingness to diligently learn industry-specific legal concepts preferred.
- Must possess excellent time-management skills, outstanding organizational skills and problem-solving skills.
- Position requires an efficient, detail-oriented, and organized person who can be responsive to a deadline and accountability driven environment.
- Must possess the highest level of discretion and unwavering integrity and honesty to manage highly confidential information.
- Must show a history of being a pro-active self-starter while maintaining positive relationships with other assistants and company personnel.
- Advanced level experience with Salesforce, and MS Office applications including Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Must possess learning agility and eagerness to learn new concepts.
- Must have a proven track record of quickly identifying, trouble shooting, and/or coordinating resolution options for computer and other technology related issues.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills needed to work effectively across departments and with external partners/vendors and customers.
- Ability to set priorities based upon criticality and importance within the department and as part of the company’s overall directive.
- Ability to organize and disseminate information efficiently.
This position primarily works in an office environment. It requires the ability to sit or stand for long periods of time and frequent walking. Daily use of a computer, phone, office equipment and other computing and digital devices is required. May be required to stand for extended periods when facilitating meetings or walking in the facilities. Some local travel may be necessary, so the ability to travel by plane, operate a motor vehicle and maintain a valid Driver’s license and/or effectively navigate public transportation is required. While performing the responsibilities of the job, the employee must be able to read and respond to interoffice communications as well as effectively participate in meetings. The employee is often required to sit and use their hands and fingers, to lift up to 20 lbs., pull, push, carry, handle or feel. The employee is required to carry, handle items, reach with arms and hands, to stoop, kneel, or crouch; talk or hear. Mental demands may require prolonged concentration, reading comprehension, understanding and interpretation of concepts, ideas and philosophies. The physical demands of the position described herein are essential functions of the job and employees must be able to successfully perform these tasks for extended periods. Reasonable accommodations may be made for those individuals with real or perceived disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job described unless such accommodations would cause Avanir an undue burden.
While performing the responsibilities of the job, these work environment characteristics are representative of the environment the job holder will encounter. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job unless such accommodations would cause Avanir an undue burden. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving carts, mechanical equipment (copiers, computers, coffee machines) and vehicles. May be subject to smells and odors. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate. The passage of employees through the work area is average and normal.
As an equal opportunity employer, Avanir Pharmaceuticals is committed to providing all applicants and employees with equal access to employment opportunities, regardless of sex, race, age, color, national origin, ancestry, disability, pregnancy, religion, genetic information, sexual orientation transgender status, gender identity, marital status, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. All Avanir Pharmaceuticals employees, officers, principles, agents, and representatives are expressly prohibited from engaging in unlawful discrimination. Consistent with federal, state, and local requirements, Avanir Pharmaceuticals will reasonably accommodate any qualified individual with a disability if such accommodation would allow the individual to perform the essential functions or the job, unless doing so would create an undue hardship.
Avanir Pharmaceuticals shall abide by the requirements of 41 CFR-60-300.5(a) and 60-741.5(a). These regulations prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals on the basis of protected veteran status or disability, and require affirmative action by covered prime contractors and subcontractors to employ and advance in employment qualified protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.