Associate Director of Medical Payer Strategy - Rheumatology
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Drives the development and execution of the managed care and payer scientific strategies with key therapeutic area. Works cross functionally in a highly matrix environment to support scientific and managed care needs of commercial, HEOR and medical affairs. Represents MPS, both internally and externally, as the subject matter expert in translating the scientific and HEOR data with cross functional stakeholders (Commercial, Market Access, HEOR, Clinical Development, etc)
- Development and execution of the medical affairs payer/HCDM strategy and tactics.
- Create and manage appropriate approval of field materials (slide decks, FAQs, etc.) for use by the Value & Access MOSL team with external payer/HCDM customers
- Actively participate in relevant cross functional (e.g., Commercial, Market Access, HEOR, Clinical Development, etc.) teams to provide scientific and pharmacoeconomic subject matter expertise.
- Lead the development of the Real-World Evidence (RWE) plan in partnership with HEOR to support scientific and business strategy which is aligned to Medical Affairs Evidence Gaps; oversees generation of high quality and relevant data; provide training to key stakeholders.
- Develops strategy for potential payer/HCDM collaborative customer research aligned with strategic objectives of the Rheumatology TA and AbbVie
- Keeps abreast of scientific, health economic and payer policy through conferences and/or medical literature and acts as a subject matter expert to cross functional stakeholders.
- Responsible for compliance with applicable Corporate and Divisional Policies and procedures. Responsible for understanding the legal and regulatory requirements as well as, the healthcare landscape and accountable for complying with those requirements. Serves as the scientific team interface for key regulatory, OEC and Legal discussions.
- May act as scientific or pharmacoeconomic expert for projects within an area or across several areas.
- May assist in the development of scientifically accurate pharmacoeconomic materials, medical education programs, advisories, and payer symposia. May assist with the scientific review, development, execution, and communication of medical affairs sponsored or supported RWE research activities.
- May lead cross functional sub teams responsible for discrete projects within the therapeutic area.
- Monitor market landscape and provide strategic recommendations to cross functional stakeholders.
- Lead the development of strategic resources and provide relevant scientific and technical training.
- Support development of Medical Affairs resources and deliver training to the Value & Access payer team
- Advanced Education PhD, PharmD, PA, NP highly preferred. Residency or additional post doctorate highly preferred.
- Typically 8 years’ experience in the pharmaceutical industry or equivalent; substantial understanding of managed care required and pharmacoeconomic experience preferred.
- Management and leadership experience at project level, experience with strategic initiatives and issues. Proven leadership skills in a cross-functional environment. International experience is a plus.
- Ability to interact externally and internally to support global business strategy. Ability to advance RWE studies or medical affairs directed research independently with little supervision. Knowledge of statistical methodology, regulatory requirements governing RWE and experience in development strategy and the design of RWE protocols.
- Must possess excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Works mostly independently with limited guidance.
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 5 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.