Vice President, R&D Device - Systems & Surgical
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Vice President, R&D Device Aesthetics (Systems & Surgical) is responsible for creating and leading the medical device pipeline for Aesthetic Device Energy-Based Systems and Surgical Devices. This position is also responsible for directing Device R&D facilities in Irvine, CA, Pleasanton, CA, Branchburg, NJ, and Heredia, Costa Rica. She/he is responsible for the R&D strategic oversight and leadership of our Body Contouring (Energy-based systems such as Coolsculpting and CoolTone), Plastic Surgery (Breast Implants, Tissue Expanders, Surgical support devices), Regenerative Medicine (tissue based scaffolds) and Diamond Glow businesses.
He/she provides functional expertise in support of key business strategies, ensuring competent and empowered resources are provided to Global Project and Asset Strategy Teams and appropriate functional reviews are established. She/he will also create a culture of empowerment, while developing and mentoring functional resources to support business objectives. This role has leadership oversight and responsibility for talent development for over 75+ colleagues, comprised of roles in medical device engineering, science, product development.
This role will work closely with senior business development and marketing personnel to provide technical expertise, evaluation and strategy related to external technology opportunities for Allergan Aesthetics. The role participates as a member of the Allergan Aesthetics R&D Leadership Team (RDALT) and reports into the SVP, R&D Aesthetics Head for Allergan Aesthetics R&D. In collaboration with Marketing and Sales, the incumbent will also represent Allergan Aesthetics and AbbVie at workshops, symposia, trade shows and conferences as relevant. She/he will also interact and liaise with external content experts as the strategic face for R&D Device in Systems & Surgical areas.
- Ph.D. in Science or Engineering; and a minimum of 15 years of leadership experience in medical devices with at least three years in a site leader management capacity; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Broad experience in research and development medical device engineering, cell and tissue-based products, and biology/biomaterials compatibility. Knowledge of aesthetics, eye care is preferred.
- Track record of bringing innovative medical devices from concept through development and validation to the marketplace in both the US and Europe.
- In depth understanding of US and international regulatory requirements for 510(k) and IDE/PMA path implantable and external medical devices.
- Demonstrated experience managing a department budget is required.
- Demonstrated experience leading people, ideally of different functions and scientific disciplines.
- The ideal incumbent would have a tracker record of success in career development, mentoring, and building relationships in cross functional team environments.
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 40% in total (including international travel).
- This role could be hired in Irvine CA or Pleasanton CA. It requires the ability to spend approximately 1 week per month at the other location based on where the incumbent will be hired.
Significant Work Activities
Yes, 5 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.