Director, Protein Engineering
Molecular Templates is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company focused on the discovery and development of differentiated, targeted, biologic therapeutics. Our proprietary biologic drug platform technology, known as engineered toxin bodies, or ETBs, leverages the resident biology of a genetically engineered form of Shiga-like Toxin A subunit to create novel therapies with potent and differentiated mechanisms of action for cancer and other serious diseases. MTEM currently has multiple clinical-stage ETB candidates in development including MT-5111, TAK-169, and MT-6402. Additional preclinical compounds derived from our ETB platform technology are being advanced toward clinical development. Additional information about Molecular Templates can be obtained at www.mtem.com.
Molecular Templates is seeking a highly accomplished and motivated Protein Engineer, Biochemist, Biophysicist, or Structural Biologist to join the Molecular Biology group as part of the research and development (R&D) team. This is a leadership role with a focus on the design, production, characterization, and optimization of novel biologics and ETBs. The Director will lead the advancement of platform technology through the development and application of in silico tools and strategic in vitro study design. The Director is expected to work on multiple complex projects and apply excellent judgment within the organization to ensure appropriate actions. The Director will lead R&D projects and drive developable candidates at the discretion of the management team and in line with R&D priorities.
- Provide protein design expertise for ETB fusion proteins in oncology projects and others
- Lead a diverse, high-performing team to evaluate novel biologics through the generation of rich data sets and predictive protein engineering data models using state-of-the-art techniques
- Provide scientific thought leadership, strategic and technical guidance in protein design
- Maintain a team with the ability to independently design, execute, and troubleshoot experiments to evaluate novel biologics and ETBs including assay development and validation, SOP generation and training
- Develop and implement in silico developability and manufacturability assessments tools to interrogate ETB biology
- Execute and manage projects of complex scope to describe the physical, biochemical, and functional profile of candidate ETBs
- Optimize lead biologics and ETBs for functionality, manufacturability, and developability
- Apply new technologies to optimize and develop new screening methods for the evaluation and rapid identification of novel biotherapeutics
- Maintain knowledge of scientific trends, industry processes and pipeline target literature through readings, conferences, and seminars to contribute to the strategic development of novel ETB platforms
- Interface with senior management, external collaborators, and cross-functional teams as a leader to influence decisions and deliver on project goals
- PhD in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Biophysics, Structural Biology, or related field with 7+ years of postdoctoral, relevant laboratory experience, or Master's degree with 10+ years of relevant laboratory experience.
- Demonstrated experience leading team(s) to engineer and develop proteins and/or fusion proteins with desired properties.
- Extensive knowledge of biologics platforms, applications, and development
- Comprehensive understanding of current approaches and emerging technologies in the development of pharmaceutical biologics
- Extensive and current experience in the application of computational techniques to inform rational and strategic decisions in the development of novel therapeutics.
- Experience in protein expression including, but not limited to the in silico assessment of primary protein sequences, construct design and predictive developability assessments
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent computer skills with knowledge of spreadsheet, word processing and statistical analysis software
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills applied to investigations.
- Excellent project management, time-management, and multi-tasking skills
- Proven ability to design research projects independently and provide thought leadership.
- Ability to manage competing priorities or projects and meet deadlines.
- Ability to function independently and exercise good judgement, as well as work closely in cross-functional teams to support multiple pre-clinical stage programs.
- Ability to clearly and efficiently document, communicate and present complex data sets.
- Ability to function in a fast-paced, high-growth and team-based work environment.
This position has leadership and supervisory responsibilities. This position reports to the Senior Director of Molecular Biology, R&D.
Molecular Templates celebrates and supports our differences and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected characteristic.
MTEM is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals. If you need assistance with your application due to a disability, you may contact us at: email@example.com.
By submitting a resume for consideration, applicants verify that they have read MTEM's Applicant Privacy notice. https://www.mtem.com/privacy-policy
Molecular Templates Inc https://mtem.isolvedhire.com