Director, US Medical Excellence Development and Standards
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Director, US Medical Development & Standards, is responsible for oversight of USMA professional development and training, along with standards and compliance. Responsible for developing, championing, and implementing processes and tools to support compliance standards while ensuring the organization’s ability to effectively deliver against their functional plans. Incorporate innovative training solutions and deliver robust training/development plans to engage US Medical Affairs teams and ensure competency across a wide array of foundational and technical skills. Additionally, they will oversee the incorporation and application of adult learning principles and evidenced-based cognitive science in learning designs.
This individual maintains deep understanding of regulatory and compliance standards and evolving landscape for Medical Affairs roles within pharmaceutical industry standards to ensure Abbvie’s USMA operating model and standards remain compliant and aligned. The Director, Development and Standards will have to be seen as a USMA Leader, capable of negotiating with and influencing the US Medical Senior Leadership Team along with other senior stakeholders. This individual will work with key cross functional stakeholders including OEC, Legal, Customer Excellence, GMA Learning, GMA Compliance/Process Excellence amongst other stakeholders to deliver results and drive the vision of Abbvie excellence. Position reports to the Sr. Director, US Medical Excellence.
- In partnership with US Commercial Operations, develop and implement In-Field Team Effectiveness (IFTe) framework, IFTe training plan and competency assessment, and design of IFTe solutions to drive IFTe excellence.
- Develop business requirements aligned to compliance and regulatory standards. Ensure systems facilitate engagement planning, appropriate data sharing, scientific interaction documentation, and accurate reporting to inform execution of US Medical activities in a simplified and consistent manner.
- Plans, develops, leads and manages USMA professional development and skills training content, resources and strategy for core and enduring content and initial and continuous training in assigned therapeutic area.
- Develops and delivers professional development/training content related to foundational and technical skills in collaboration with TA Leadership as dictated by Medical Objectives and Strategic Imperatives. Educational materials and training initiatives include (but are not limited to) training modules, interactive learning modules, workshops, podcasts/videos/voiceovers, blended approaches, reinforcement tools, recordings and virtual learning and platforms.
- Identifies unmet needs related to USMA development/training and develops strategic plans to address these needs that is aligned with overall USMA strategy.
- Partners with US Medical Excellence and TA leadership to assess gaps and ensure training content and deliverables address prioritized USMA
- Solves problems related to development and effective deployment of role-based training processes and professional development, including utilization of new and innovative approaches to engage diverse cross-functional teams.
- Advocates for the learner and incorporates his or her involvement throughout the learning design process. Responsible for exploring and incorporating innovative learning techniques and modalities to address business needs.
- Ensure Medical compliance standards are aligned to AbbVie’s policies and procedures, communicated globally and reflected in systems, tools and resources.
- Maintain and further refine USMA development and standards operating model based as environment and business needs change. Maintain high level expertise and serve as consultative expert for USMA teams regarding development and standards resourcing.
- Develop Field and HQ Medical non-scientific training curriculum based on needs assessment (i.e., communication, business acumen). Conduct ongoing needs assessment to identify new competency/skill development needs for USMA (including leadership roles).
- Responsible for defining global business requirements Field Medical and any other CRM systems. Responsible for ensuring system meets business needs and compliance standards. Partner closely with Legal/OEC/Data Privacy to ensure compliance of the system design and implementation. Requires integration and cross-functional involvement within Commercial, Business Technology Solutions, and other lines of AbbVie business for synergistic opportunities.
- Responsible for oversight of audit readiness and execution, and ensuring that USMA practices yield an audit-ready environment.
- As a Leader to the Associate Director, Compliance, maintain USMA oversight and envorinmental/business awareness providing insights into potential compliance risks and training needs.
- Minimum of Master’s Degree in Business or Life Science required. A doctoral degree (PhD, MD, PharmD) strongly preferred.
- A minimum of 8-11 years of combined experience in related area required, experience in Medical Affairs/Global Medical Affairs/Pharmaceutical Training/Compliance, and/or Operations setting preferred.
- Field leadership experience strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated understanding of legal and regulatory environment of pharmaceutical industry
- Strong tactical familiarity with Medical Affairs activities and management.
Key Leadership Attributes:
- Must exhibit strategic thought and leadership with the ability to think and lead at the big picture level as well as the ability to translate strategic objectives into specific initiatives and manage successful execution
- Proven track record of working in a matrix environment, strong teamwork skills, leading cross functional teams, timely decision making and results orientation in meeting project, department and business objectives.
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of team to enable higher performance.
- Creative, innovative thinker with strong strategic mindset and understanding the strategic value of working with external experts and robustly integrating them into AbbVie strategic objectives
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement.
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality.
- Demonstrated ability to articulate and negotiate projects and priorities across functions and/or organizations
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 25 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.