Intellectual Property Technical Specialist/Patent Agent
Ambrx Inc., is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company focused on developing Precision Biologics using an expanded genetic code. Ambrx technology uses an expanded genetic code to incorporate synthetic amino acids into protein, all completed within a living cell. These synthetic amino acids enable the creation of Precision Biologics, an exciting new class of therapeutics with broad application and potential. This includes next-generation antibody drug conjugates (ADCs), bispecifics, and targeted immuno-oncology therapies for cancer as well as smart cytokines to modulate the immune system, and long-acting therapeutic peptides for metabolic and cardiovascular disease.
We are seeking a highly motivated and experienced Intellectual Property Technical Specialist /Patent Agent who has a solid foundation in chemistry and life sciences and experience managing docket systems, corresponding with scientists, working with outside counsel (US and ex-US), and the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), and providing general administrative support to a growing Intellectual Property team.
- Work with R&D at all levels to capture innovations; review and analyze invention disclosures
- Work closely with scientists to draft and prosecute high quality patent applications
- Provide docketing support as needed
- Provide patent renewals support as needed
- Assist with the supervision of law firms in the acquisition and maintenance of Company’s intellectual property assets
- Prepare, coordinate execution of intellectual property assignment, declaration, and power of attorney documents
- Interact with USPTO to record assignments, submit patent documents, and/or obtain information and materials, such as certified copies of patents, file histories and file wrappers
- Provide technical and legal research and analysis with respect to matters pending before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Maintain electronic and/or hardcopy files of signed documents and trademark specimens
- Perform duties related to other projects as required
- M.S. or Ph.D. in chemistry or the life sciences, or equivalent experience
- Scientific knowledge of proteins and small molecules
- Minimum of 5 years’ IP experience in biotech/pharma industry or law firm
- USPTO registration preferred, but not required
- Experience with patent docketing
- Strong analytical and research skills required including experience with patent and non-patent literature databases, as well as nucleic acid/protein sequence search databases
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated organizational and time management skills
- Proficiency with Visio, ChemDraw (other related programs), and Microsoft Office Suite, including MSWord, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
- Working knowledge of Patent Docketing and Annuity Management systems (e.g., CPA, CPI, or equivalent system)
- Working knowledge of USPTO rules and procedures, PAIR and EFS-Web; knowledge of PatentIn software (sequence listings)
- Must be eligible to work in the USA
To be considered as an applicant, please submit your resume/CV referencing the specific position of interest and position code. Applicants whose qualifications and experience most closely match the requirements of the position will be reviewed. Candidates will only be contacted for evaluative discussions. Ambrx offers competitive compensation & benefits.