Synthego is enabling genome engineering at scale with a blend of scientific instrumentation, industrial automation, and data science. Our team of scientists and engineers are putting multidisciplinary fields together to solve problems that no one field can tackle alone.
We're looking for an Analytical Chemist will join our Chemistry Development team as a key player in the development and optimization of analytical characterization techniques for our oligonucleotide products and their related synthesis and purification reagents. You will also take a main role in chemical process improvement, scale-up, and instrument qualifications. This role will report to the Director of Chemistry Development.
What You'll Do
- Design, develop, and optimize chemical analytical methods for our oligonucleotide products.
- Design process improvement experiments for Research Associates to characterize and optimize manufacturing synthesis and purification steps.
- Understand the stability, shelf life, and degradation pathways of oligonucleotides and their related raw materials.
- Liaison to outside analytical testing labs and investigator of possible new outside test methods.
- Conduct Gauge Reproducibility + Reliability studies for existing analytical instrumentation to understand tolerances and machine-to-machine differences.
- Plan scale-up of chemical manufacturing processes on a suite of synthesis, preparatory, and analytical equipment
- Develop processes and write protocols for use of new synthesis, purification, and analysis instrumentation.
- Manage transfer of new analytical methods and process instrumentation into Operations, QC, and Factory Service.
- Draft Receive and Inspection Records and analytical test methods for incoming commercial and in-house prepared raw chemical reagents.
- Master’s or Doctoral Degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry, or related field
- 3+ years work experience with oligonucleotide synthesis and characterization
- Expert in mass spectrometry characterization of oligonucleotides, especially ESI-MS
- Nice to have: experience with MS/MS of nucleic acids
- Advanced understanding of analytical and preparative HPLC
- Background in process improvement chemistry as well as manufacturing scale-up
- Knowledgeable in statistical analysis and design of experiments.
- Excellent written and presentation communication skills across teams
- GMP work experience a plus
Company Perks & Benefits
- Competitive salary
- Generous equity at a rapid growth company
- Medical, dental, and vision benefits
- 401k Plan
- Free catered lunches and dinners with fully stocked kitchen & snacks
- Onsite Gym
- Daily Shuttle bus to & from San Francisco
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Synthego is a genome engineering company that enables the acceleration of life science research and development in the pursuit of improved human health.
The company leverages machine learning, automation, and gene editing to build platforms for science at scale. With its foundations in engineering disciplines, the company’s platforms vertically integrate proprietary hardware, software, bioinformatics, chemistries, and molecular biology to advance basic research, target validation, and clinical trials.
By providing both commercial and academic researchers and therapeutic developers with unprecedented access to cutting-edge genome engineering, Synthego is at the forefront of innovation, accelerating the development of truly engineered biology.