Organovo Inc. is an early-stage biotechnology company that is developing and utilizing highly customized 3D human tissues as dynamic models of healthy and diseased human biology for drug development.
We use proprietary technology to build functional 3D human tissues that mimic key aspects of native human tissue composition, architecture, function and disease. Our advances include cell type-specific compartments, prevalent intercellular tight junctions, and the formation of microvascular structures. We believe these attributes can enable critical complex, multicellular disease models that we will use to develop clinically effective drugs for selected therapeutic areas.
Organovo is focused on the utilization of high fidelity, human 3D cell models for target identification, validation and drug discovery across a range of therapeutic areas, including gastrointestinal (GI) disease biology as one of the initial targets. We are looking for a scientific expert to serve as the team leader to deliver on target identification and drug development programs in the GI therapeutic area. The Principal Scientist will drive the strategy for development of GI discovery programs and will apply emerging translational science and the company’s vision and corporate strategy as they lead the development of 3D approaches and GI target selection.
- Develop 3D models, identify worthy targets, and advance relevant discovery programs into the clinic through interfacing with collaborators and internal scientists
- Define rigorous go/no-go decisions with a focus on hypothesis-driven, genetic, biomarker and metabolomics-based methodology
- Drive collaborations with internal groups and external partners, including CROs and academia for tissue procurement, sample handling, and data generation
- Interface with research teams and support projects relating to GI inflammation
- Apply skillsets in molecular and cell biology to contribute to multiple programs in GI drug discovery
- PhD, MS-level candidate with robust expertise in the field would be considerable
- 8+ years of life science experience, 5+ within a biotech/pharma industry setting preferred
- Drug discovery experience in GI and/or GI Inflammatory Diseases
- Knowledge of and experience with GI physiology, immunology, and enteric nervous system
- Knowledge and appreciation of the GI landscape as it relates to existing and emerging scientific insights, opportunities, and unmet medical needs
- Network of relationships with key opinion leaders in the field of GI disease
Management and Leadership Qualifications:
- At least 2 years supervisory experience, leading both PhD level scientists and research associates
- Proven team leader who can engender credibility and confidence within and outside the company as well as inspire, motivate, and drive results
- Track record of successful leadership, management and development of small teams
- Demonstrated embracement of diversity and inclusion in the workplace
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, with the ability to persuasively convey both ideas and data
- Ability to distill complex issues and ideas down to simple comprehensible terms