Associate Scientist, Purification Development
Vaxart is a clinical-stage biotechnology company developing a range of oral recombinant vaccines based on its proprietary delivery platform. Vaxart vaccines are administered using convenient room temperature-stable tablets that can be stored and shipped without refrigeration.
Vaxart has demonstrated that its proprietary tablet vaccine delivery platform is suitable to deliver recombinant vaccines, positioning the company to develop oral versions of currently marketed vaccines and to design recombinant vaccines for new indications. Its development programs currently include tablet vaccines designed to protect against coronavirus, norovirus, seasonal influenza and respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), as well as a therapeutic vaccine for human papillomavirus (HPV), Vaxart’s first immuno-oncology indication.
Our mission is the promotion of global health through the development of effective vaccines that can be administered by tablet rather than by injection, providing for the simple and efficient distribution and administration of safe vaccines in any setting.
We are looking for an Associate Scientist, Purification Development, to join our growing South San Francisco team!
* Please note that we cannot sponsor Visas at this time.
The Associate Scientist of Purification Development is responsible for understanding, executing, and reporting purification processes with a focus on development and manufacture of Ad5 vectors used for oral vaccines. Under supervision from a Senior Scientist, evaluate existing downstream methods and develop new methods appropriate for improved yield, larger scale, and improved or sustained product quality in the production of Ad5 viral vectors for use in an oral vaccine. Must be able to work closely with Upstream and Formulation Development units as well as manufacturing organizations to define unit operations that fit manufacturing constraints and corporate timelines. The successful candidate will be expected to work with in-house and partnering development and manufacturing organizations in tech-transfer and manufacturing support roles. Will also be asked to take a supporting role in designing and organizing the purification development laboratory, and to establish a culture of general compliance, safe operations, and proper documentation and communication of results. Familiarity with column chromatography and filtration methods are the essential components of the position. Experience in viral vector production would be a significant asset.
- Executes experimental protocols/studies to provide data and informational support for development activities. Evaluate, optimize, or troubleshoot chromatographic or filtration unit operations to create new or improved purification unit operations.
- Writes and/or contributes to protocols, purification development reports, batch records, standard operating procedures, and other technical reports in support of manufacturing and process tech transfer. Assures that results are properly archived and communicated.
- Responsible for understanding and applying data generated from experiments and literature used to modify/optimize process parameters.
- Assures that training and compliance records for themselves are up to date and appropriate. Assures that all safety procedures are followed.
- Proactively communicates with internal and external stakeholders. Establish and foster relationships with contract manufacturing organizations.
- B.S. or M.S. in Biological Sciences, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Biochemistry, or equivalent degree.
- 0 - 8 years of relevant industry or academic experience
- Familiarity with mammalian cell culture in a GMP environment.
- Familiarity with production and purification of viral products.
- Strong communication and teamwork skills.
- Ability to gain cooperation of others.
- Experience with QC issues.
- Experience with sterile techniques and hazardous/infectious material handling.
Vaxart offers team members a competitive compensation and benefits package, including a bonus program, stock options, 401(k) with employer matching, tuition assistance, and work life balance.
Vaxart is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity. We are committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action for all applicants and employees. Equal opportunity and consideration are afforded to all qualified applicants and employees in personnel actions, which include: recruiting and hiring, selection for training, promotion, rates of pay or other compensation, transfer, discipline, demotion, layoff or termination. Vaxart does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, family medical history or genetic information, citizenship, national origin or ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, military status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation.