Sr. Biological Research Scientist
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Scientist/ Sr. Biological Research Scientist will lead and contribute to the discovery and validation of targets across in medical aesthetics. The successful candidate will develop and deploy multiple techniques in order to generate specific therapeutic targets and testable hypotheses. He/ she will participate in a team of scientists to lead various activities including target identification/validation and drug discovery using in vitro, in vivo and/or omics methodologies to evaluate pharmacology in collaboration with internal and external stake holders/experts.. The person should be a highly motivated, hands-on experimentalist who is also capable to leading scientific projects and thriving in a multidisciplinary environment. Emphasis is on the ability to successfully perform hands-on work and lead discovery projects with minimal supervision, demonstrate scientific leadership skills and interact in a team environment.
- Lead target validation and progression of early-stage targets in medical aesthetics
- Research and understand relevant target/disease biology; design and implement experimentation to validate hypotheses.
- Train and mentor research associates when appropriate
- Prepare presentations and represent the group to cross-functional teams.
- Maintain awareness of current developments in the field through comprehensive reading and analysis of the literature and attendance at appropriate scientific meetings.
- Understand the competitive landscape and participate in the review and analysis of outside opportunities.
- Ph.D. in biology or equivalent with experience in immunology, dermatology or pharmacological evaluation of drugs, 5+ years of postdoctoral or industry experience preferred.
- Experience in tissue culture, performing multi-parametric flow cytometry, translational in vitro and in vivo functional assays with primary cells and the application of these techniques to pharmacological studies required
- Experience in analysis of big data sets (NGS, -omics, etc.)
- Strong scientific skills with the ability to collaborate with project team members.
- Must be able to multitask effectively and be adaptable and flexible to meet changing priorities.
- Motivated team player with a can-do attitude.
- Must have excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Committed to the values of integrity, accountability, transparency, scientific rigor and drive.
- Experience with in vivo model development and in vitro assays is required; with broad knowledge and skills in models of skin conditions is preferred.
- Experience in a drug development setting desired.
Significant Work Activities
Yes, 10 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.