AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Under Director oversight, the Principal Project Engineer will drive engineering duties associated with the design, research, development, and implementation of complex research and product development projects, to completion.
Independently determines and develops approach to solutions.
Represents the organization as the prime technical contact on contracts and projects. Interacts with senior external personnel on significant technical matters often requiring coordination between organizations.
The employee must conduct their work activities in compliance with all AbbVie internal requirements and with all applicable regulatory requirements, including knowledge of operating in a controlled environment per the requirements of 21 CFR 820, ISO 13485 and ISO 14971. AbbVie internal requirements include compliance with ethics, environmental health and safety, financial, human resources, and general business policies, requirements and objectives.
- Drives to completion major programs and projects and guides the successful completion of minor programs and functions in a project leadership role.
- Provide technical assessments for business development decisions as needed. Provide technical solutions to a wide range of difficult and complex problems. Solutions are imaginative, thorough, practicable, and consistent with organization objectives.
- Collect, organize and analyze technical information to support the development and design of products. Perform technical and statistical analyses in the form of written reports.
- Identify technical opportunities and provide analysis to demonstrate concept while meeting key specifications.
- Manage complex projects with a limited number of interfaces. Create timelines, budgets, goals and monitor progress to ensure that company goals are met.
- Provide support and resources to other departments as necessary to support production or product development.
- B.S. Engineering or other related discipline with 10+ years of experience. Medical device experience preferred. M.S. with 6+ years of experience. Ph.D. with 4+ years of experience. Advanced degree desired.
- Ability to travel at least 25% of time.
- Detailed understanding and wide application of technical principles, theories, and concepts in the field. General knowledge of other related disciplines.
- Responsible for aspects of research and development from product concept to product launch, including design and process development, vendor communication, protocol creation, design, testing and documentation.
- Ability to effectively present information verbally and in writing and respond to questions from groups of managers or technical peer groups.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical journals and procedures and governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, documentation and procedures.
- Complete understanding and application of technical principles, theories, and concepts in the field. Some knowledge of other related disciplines.
- Ability to comprehend and apply principles of advanced math and statistical theory (to include t-tests, f-tests, tolerance limits, etc.).
- Ability to use word processing, spreadsheet and engineering software applications.
- Ability to learn and function in a controlled environment regulated by FDA GMPs and handle confidential data.
- Ability to accurately perform and document detail oriented work while adhering to company deadlines.
- Ability to prioritize and manage concurrent projects.
- Recommend design or manufacturing improvements for existing processes and products.
- Conform with GMPs, ISO standards, and Design Controls for each project and aid in generating Design Control documentation, as needed.
- Work with manufacturers and manufacturing engineering to transfer designs into production.
- Ability to demonstrate leadership in job performance by example.
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.