Sr Director, Clinical Trial Design Feasibility, Technology & Recruitment
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Sr Director Clinical Trial Design Feasibility, Technology and Recruitment is responsible for leading a team of professionals that have end to end accountability for ensuring the connection of operational feasibility to clinical study design to design and execution of patient recruitment and retention strategies. The Sr Director is accountable to build, develop and retain a high performing team of study design feasibility experts, digital technologies supporting trial execution experts and patient recruitment and retention experts. The Sr Director is accountable to ensure that processes are established, maintained and enhanced that ensure a data-driven approach to study feasibility, implementation of technology and recruitment/retention practices.
- Accountable for leading a team of professionals with three connected, but distinct responsibilities:
- A data-driven approach to study design feasibility and simplified execution
- End to end patient recruitment and retention strategies from study design through to execution and evaluation of strategy performance
- Implementation of innovative approaches using technology to support data collection or patient/site experience
- Accountable to ensure that organizational processes are in place to ensure that operational risks are contemplated in trial protocol design, including the impact of design choices on patient selection, recruitment, country and investigator site selection, and projected study timelines
- Partner cross-functionally to continually refine and improve the strategy and data approaches to trial design feasibility and site selection
- Accountable to lead the recruitment and retention team, including ensuring that an end to end strategy is in place and is proactively managed by the recruitment manager as a key part of the study team operating model
- Ensure that appropriate metrics are in place for recruitment vendor performance, including a robust ROI assessment, linked to future strategic implications and action
- Stays abreast of industry best practices to ensure that AbbVie Clinical Development attains and maintains top tier status in the industry
- Accountable for building, developing and retaining a high performing team of study design feasibility experts, digital implementation experts and patient recruitment and retention experts
- Required: Bachelor or higher degree in a scientific discipline or previous experience working directly in a clinical trial setting
- At least 10 years of leadership experience related to clinical research and drug development within the pharma/biotech industry.
- In depth drug development and scientific project leadership or related experience across all phases of drug development
- Experience with large data sets and analytical skills to interpret the data and drive team strategy
- Demonstrated leadership skills with broad scientific, strategic and business-related orientations
- Requires multi-faceted, broad-based experience in multiple functions. Considered to have in depth knowledge of drug development issues and business needs.
- Extensive experience in building, coaching and managing high level professionals and ability to bring out the best in others
- Excellent interpersonal skills. Ability to interact externally and internally to support business strategy.
- Recognized ability to evaluate complex issues from multiple perspectives to ensure that balanced risk assessments are made
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 15 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.