Research Associate/Senior Research Associate, Cell-based Assay Development, Neuroscience
We are seeking a highly motivated and driven Research Associate who will be key in advancing our preclinical drug development and scientific initiatives. Alkahest’s therapeutic focus is on indications impacted by aging, including cognition and disorders of the nervous system.
The candidate will help establish in vitro cellular assays to enable bioactive screening and mechanism of action studies centered on the CNS. The candidate will be assisting Alkahest’s scientific team to establish, validate, and implement scientific methodologies to understand the biology of our therapeutics at the core of the company’s mission. Studies performed will involve cutting edge science and require innovative concepts and strategies. This role requires dedication to drive science, ability to multitask, excellent communication and organizational skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work independently as well as collaboratively with a multidisciplinary team of scientists and research associates to drive multiple projects in parallel in a fast-paced environment.
Alkahest offers a competitive compensation and benefits package, opportunities for career growth and development, and a work environment that is collaborative, collegial, and fun.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Isolating, purifying and maintaining primary neurons, glia and neuronal progenitor cells from mouse
- Designing, planning, and performing cellular experiments
- Use of molecular and biochemical analysis methods, immunocytochemistry and microscopy
- Apply high throughput imaging and analysis techniques
- Generation and maintenance of stable cell lines
- Investigating and developing new methods and technologies for project advancement
- Data analysis and regular presentation of scientific data to the team
- Maintaining familiarity with current scientific literature
- Interfacing on a regular basis with lead scientific staff to organize, coordinate, schedule and execute experimental work.
- Other responsibilities as assigned
- Bachelor or Masters degree in biology, cell biology, or neuroscience is required
- Minimum of five (5) years of progressively advancing responsibilities and technical experience in the lab
- Experience with immunocytochemistry and microscopy is required
- Multiple years of experience with primary neuronal tissue culture and cell-based assay development is required
- Ability to handle and dissect mice to initiate primary cell culture is a must.
- Experience with other peripheral primary cells, iPSCs and stem cells/progenitor cells or endothelial cell culture systems is a plus
- Experience with Western Blot, FACS, qPCR and Elisa is a plus
- Experience with cell-based medium-throughput screening assays is a plus
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills that enable the individual to interact with all levels of management, technical and scientific personnel
- Attention to detail and strong organizational skills with the drive for excellence in a high paced environment
- Solid knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, microscopy software and analytical packages such as Prism