At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients’ lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
The Leads Discovery & Optimization (LDO) is a dynamic organization that supports the entire continuum of drug discovery (from lead identification to clinical candidate delivery) at Bristol Myers Squibb. The organization leverages state of the art technologies, complemented by deep subject matter expertise and broad scientific knowledge, to deliver innovative and comprehensive preclinical in vitro datasets to support our drug discovery pipeline in disease areas such as cell therapy, oncology, immunology, fibrosis and cardiovascular diseases.
As a Sr. Scientist within the LDO, this individual will be responsible for the design, validation, execution, and interpretation of biochemical and biophysical assays for lead discovery, molecular profiling and lead optimization, in support of the BMS portfolio focused on targets in the Tumor Microenvironment Thematic Research Center at our Redwood City site. This individual will have the opportunity to work on cross-functional drug discovery teams, closely interacting with colleagues from different functions including chemistry, biology, biotherapeutics, and pharmacology. The individual will collaborate within LDO and across project teams to help shape the in vitro screening strategy, identify appropriate assay platforms, and develop high throughput assays using cutting-edge technologies and automation platforms. The ideal candidate will have a strong working knowledge of fundamental principles of enzymology, protein biochemistry, biophysics and in vitro pharmacology. In addition, hands-on experience in developing biochemical assays to study enzyme turnover, protein-protein interactions and mechanism of action profiling of novel ligands is essential. This is a laboratory-based position.
The Sr. Scientist will be expected to prepare and deliver effective presentations to project stakeholders. The ideal candidate will balance technical skills with critical-thinking and have demonstrated a track record of rapidly driving high-quality, high-impact projects to completion. The successful candidate will have a can-do attitude and a drive to proactively facilitate the continuous improvement of processes and culture.
- Provide scientific and technical leadership within both the LDO and disease project teams
- Design, optimize, and validate assays for small molecule plate-based assays and high throughput screens across different target classes
- Utilize appropriate software and analytical tools to interpret and apply quality control measures to screening data
- Effectively compile and present data to project teams in both written and oral formats
- PhD with 2+ years of relevant experience, or M.S. with 7 years or more of experience in biochemistry or related scientific discipline, with preference for industry experience
- Strong background in biochemistry, biophysics and assay development is required
- In depth knowledge of enzyme kinetics (steady state, pre-steady state) and mechanism of action studies to fully characterize target-ligand interactions is required
- Experience in leveraging biophysical platforms to study thermodynamics and kinetics of binding interactions is preferred
- Hands on experience with automated liquid handlers and microtiter plate readers is also desirable
- Practical experience in cell culture, cell-based assay development and execution, with a strong background in de novo assay design, quality control, and high-throughput processes is a significant plus
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and demonstrated strength in a matrix organization
- Track record of successful multitasking and rapid execution
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, or any part of the recruitment process direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.