Senior Infrastructure Engineer
Recursion is a clinical-stage biotechnology company decoding biology by integrating technological innovations across biology, chemistry, automation, data science and engineering to radically improve the lives of patients and industrialize drug discovery. Our team is working to solve some of the hardest, most meaningful problems facing human health today. Come join us in our mission to decode biology to radically improve lives, while doing the most impactful work of your life.
The Impact You’ll Make
- Contribute to and promote a DevSecOps culture at Recursion. We strive for a culture where everyone has what they need to deliver and operate software autonomously.
- Optimize infrastructure to be as efficient as possible. When you are processing 70+ terabytes of new images a week, and training models against large image sets from our over 3.5+ petabytes of images, optimization can make a big difference.
- Work with Application Engineers to help them understand and use the infrastructure to successfully deliver and operate quality software.
- Work with traditional Corporate IT to help them implement current DevSecOps best practices and move this culture beyond the delivery of internally written software.
The Team You’ll Join
You will be part of the small Infrastructure and Tools Engineering team at Recursion and we see this as a great opportunity to add to the vision of the infrastructure that we use to deliver software. You will report to the Director of Engineering. You will initially join a team of software engineers who have been working to make our current infrastructure more secure and easier to use for a broader set of engineers and data scientists at Recursion. There will be many opportunities to work on multiple cross functional teams here.
The Experience You’ll Need
- 5+ years of delivering infrastructure in production environments.
- Production kubernetes experience. We use Google Kubernetes Engine, but also have on-premise clusters (e.g. for GPU training) that we would like to migrate to Kubernetes.
- Experience with some of our existing infrastructure would be a plus. We are currently using kubernetes (GKE), nginx ingress controller for ingress, prometheus for the majority of our metrics, postgres for most databases. We also use Kafka heavily.
- Comfortable working with current tools and methodologies to deploy and maintain infrastructure. We use terraform and kubernetes for the majority of what we deliver and are making a push towards using GitOps style workflows for all of these resources.
The Benefits/Perks You’ll Enjoy
- 100% Coverage of health, vision, and dental insurance premiums
- 401(k) with generous matching (immediate vesting)
- Stock option, restricted stock unit (RSUs) and employee stock purchase plan (ESPP) programs
- Two one-week paid company closures (summer and winter)
- Flexible vacation/sick leave
- Generous paid parental leave (including adoptive)
- Onsite daycare facility*
- Commuter benefit and vehicle parking to ease your commute*
- Complimentary chef-prepared lunches and well-stocked snack bars*
- Monthly fitness/wellness stipend
- One-of-a-kind 100,000 square foot headquarters complete with a 70-foot climbing wall, showers, lockers, and bike parking*
*Subject to change for remote-based employees during the COVID-19 pandemic
More About Us
Recursion is a clinical-stage biotechnology company decoding biology by integrating technological innovations across biology, chemistry, automation, data science, and engineering, with the goal of radically improving the lives of patients and industrializing drug discovery. Central to our mission is the Recursion Operating System, or Recursion OS, that combines an advanced infrastructure layer to generate what we believe is one of the world’s largest and fastest-growing proprietary biological and chemical datasets and the Recursion Map, a suite of custom software, algorithms, and machine learning tools that we use to explore foundational biology unconstrained by human bias and navigate to new biological insights which may accelerate our programs. We are a biotechnology company scaling more like a technology company. Recursion is proudly headquartered in Salt Lake City.
Recursion is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.