Junior Tax Analyst
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Reporting to the Indirect Tax Manager, the Junior Tax Analyst will be responsible for administering the sales/use tax exemption certificate process, monitoring the Indirect Tax customer service email account, and responding to Indirect Tax telephone inquiries from customers and the sales team in a timely manner. The Analyst may also be required to assist with sales/use tax return compliance and data gathering for state and local sales/use tax audits.
Essential Job Functions:
• Primary point person for the review of sales/use tax resale and exemption certificates including customer tax deductions. Duties include communicating directly with customers and internal department contacts to resolve tax inquiries related to the validity and processing of customer resale/exemption certificates, monitoring current state and local tax policies and tax rates; and reviewing customer accounts for applicable credit adjustments related to sales tax charges.
• Responsible for resale certificate documentation processing through Vertex O (to upload exemption certificate documentation), obtaining and electronically filing all exemption certificates.
• Updating the Vertex O TDM database (sales tax exemption software application) to maintain accurate customer tax exemption status in Vertex.
• Running and analyzing reports for the customer master SAP interfaces; Assist with sales tax audits. Duties include compiling previously filed sales/use tax returns and applicable supporting documentation, downloading sales data and other reports from SAP; preparing spreadsheets; and gathering invoice and exemption certificate documentation.
• Prepare monthly tax account reconciliations.
• Running reports and compiling data for monthly and quarterly Sales & Use Tax compliance
• Assist with IT testing and system implementations.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
• Superb patient, soft and interpersonal skills to administer customer service calls and communicate effectively via email.
• Ability to process and analyze several sources of data to accomplish daily tasks.
• Maintains a high level of professionalism and collaboration with company employees and customers.
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team environment.
• Effective interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written.
• Possess excellent organizational skills, effective time management skills and attention to detail.
• Strong Microsoft Office Tools (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and Outlook) and Adobe Acrobat experience.
Preferred Knowledge and Experience:
• Familiarity with multistate sales/use tax laws, regulations, and processes.
• Proficient with tax compliance process software including Vertex or comparable programs.
• Experience with SAP, Oracle and/or similar ERP systems.
Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or related field from an accredited college or university and 2 years of applicable experience or 7-10 years of experience in sales and use tax.
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.