Associate Director, Global Medical Information
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Ensures the timely completion of inquiry handling and content development by the US team for worldwide product requests. Serves as the liaison to the US and global medical information teams to identify best practices in the overall inquiry handling process. Collaborates with interdepartmental teams and management to anticipate and insure the delivery of timely, accurate and compliant scientific communication.
Enhance the MI metrics reporting capability that delivers unique product trends and gaps within global R&D and commercial teams. Responsible for administration and oversight of the global electronic inquiry management system and content development repository in the global medical information process. Attentive to innovative technology and strategizes on new opportunities to disseminate medical data and shape future progress of the department.
Develops and supports the relationship with PV and represents the medical information role as a subject matter expert (SME) in compliance audits, ensures corporate compliance policies are followed and completes all reviews and deliverables requested from the audit findings. Assists in the development of the medical information action and communication plan and manages resources for any global product issues. Develops working relationships with third party vendors to ensure clarity and compliance with respect to medical information deliverables. May serve as a key contact and collaborator to cross functional teams in any company integration or divesture activities.
Assess learning needs and develop training curriculum for department staff and monitor and report performance against medical information key performance indicators. Contribute in development of ongoing plans and manage key projects that will have significant impact to the medical information team effectiveness.
Essential Job Functions:
- Medical Information: Ensures the timely completion of inquiry handling and content development by the US team for worldwide products requests. Serves as the liaison to the US and global medical information team to identify best practices in the overall inquiry handling process. Collaborates with interdepartmental teams and management to anticipate and insure the delivery of timely, accurate and compliant scientific communication. Enhance the MI metrics reporting capability that deliver unique product trends and gaps within global R&D and commercial teams. Responsible for administration and oversight of the global electronic inquiry management system and content development repository enable the global medical information process.
- Business Analytics: Develops, interprets and communicates key product metrics on a quarterly and ad hoc basis to internal stakeholders. Metrics are defined and analyzed for business insights and are suitable for a range of management level dissemination. Collaborates with Medical Affairs partners for alignment of overall medical affairs objectives.
- Governance / Quality Assurance: Optimizes process quality and efficiency by developing and communicating guidance and standards. Responsible for ensuring that applicable medical affairs regulatory and compliance requirements are met per Allergan policies and SOPs. Develops and ensure systems are in place to monitor and document process activities. Implement continuous improvement programs including training, and process changes as needed to address the changing regulatory landscape.
- Healthcare Compliance: Develops and ensures systems are in place to monitor and document process activities for any pharmacovigilance or regulatory audits. Familiarity with legal and regulatory guidelines regarding medical communication strategy and execution. Maintains a working knowledge of global medical information functions, legal/regulatory requirements, standard operating practices and guidelines. Keep current in product knowledge, including Pharmacovigilance practices and applicable Local, Regional and Global regulations and guidance.
Essential Skills and Abilities
The employee must conduct their work activities in compliance with all Allergan internal requirements and with all applicable regulatory requirements. Allergan internal requirements include compliance with ethics, environmental health and safety, financial, human resources, and general business policies, requirements and objectives.
- Highly motivated, decisive and results oriented individual with the flexibility and creativity to excel in a rapidly growing and changing environment
- Analyzes, summarizes, and communicates critical information for decision making
- Strong written/verbal communication and presentation skills with ability to convey messages to a diverse audience
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects and product responsibilities
- Ability to work independently or in a team setting
- Ability to travel
Education and Experience
- Advanced health science education preferred. (PhD, PharmD, or MD)
- 5 years experience in clinical practice, academic research, pharmaceuticals, regulatory/scientific, or medical liaison environment
- 5 years experience in medical information/communication environment.
- 3 years experience in a managerial/supervisory role.
Country: United States
Business Site: Madison, NJ
Function: Global Research & Development
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 10 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.