PBPK Director/Senior Principal Research Scientist
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
PBPK Director/Senior Principal Research Scientist (DMPK)
AbbVie (NYSE:ABBV) is a global, research-based biopharmaceutical company with a mission to develop innovative therapies to address the world's most complex and serious diseases. AbbVie employs approximately 47,000 people worldwide and markets medicines in more than 175 countries. The AbbVie portfolio consists of several marketed products in areas including Eye-care, Immunology, Oncology, Neuroscience, Virology, and Women’s Health as well as a pipeline containing multiple promising new molecules being studied in hundreds of clinical trials or advancing from Discovery into Development. AbbVie is a global organization with US research sites in Boston (Worcester, MA), Chicago (North Chicago, IL), San Francisco Bay Area and in Germany (Ludwigshafen).
The Drug Metabolism, Pharmacokinetics & Bioanalysis (DMPK-BA) team at AbbVie, Inc. is seeking a global Physiological-Based PK (PBPK) leader. The successful candidate will be responsible for developing and delivering on a holistic vision and strategy for PBPK modeling at AbbVie. As a key opinion leader in the field of PBPK you will be expected work closely with key partners in DMPK-BA, as well as with functions across Discovery and Development, to deliver innovative and quantitative approaches to advance this translational science. You will also be responsible for leading and mentoring scientists in the application of PBPK to support programs across all of AbbVie’s therapeutic areas. The position will involve conducting mechanistic PBPK, human PK, and DDI projections to support Discovery and Development project teams, enabling compound progression from discovery to early stages of clinical development. In this exciting and dynamic role you will also be expected to evaluate new technologies and approaches to support the mechanistic and translational understanding of drug disposition and drug-drug interactions. The ideal candidate will have strong background and expertise in PBPK modeling and have made significant contributions to this scientific field.
- Build and deliver a robust translational strategy for human PK and DDI projection
- Utilize PBPK and translational modeling tools to enable human PK and DDI projections.
- Support project teams across multiple therapeutic areas and interpret results through close partnership with DMPK-BA reps.
- Evaluate and guide novel in vitro tools and methodology to improve translational predictions
- Liaise with key stakeholders (in discovery (chemistry/biology/pharmacology) and development (pharmaceutics, clinical pharmacology) to generate data and knowledge supporting the build-up of translational, mechanistic models.
- Communicate effectively and clearly both internally and externally on DMPK-BA strategies and ensure strategic use of pre-clinical in vitro and PK studies, human PK/DDI prediction and PBPK modeling to deliver state-of the-art PBPK models
- Write, review, and contribute to regulatory submission documents.
- Stay current with latest developments in the field of DMPK PBPK modeling
- Contribute to the scientific community internally (e.g. education sessions) and externally (e.g. publication) to maintain a strong influencing presence in the field of translational modeling.
- Ph.D. in Pharmaceutical Sciences, Pharmacokinetics, Pharmacology, Biomedical Engineering or related field and 8-10 years of relevant experience in the pharmaceutical industry
- Experience with relevant modeling software, including SimCYP, Phoenix and WinNonlin is required
- Hands-on project experience in PBPK modeling and simulation through direct industry experience required
- Highly motivated, result-oriented person and independent thinker with proven ability to work cross-functionally and influence peers and other stakeholders
- Demonstrated capability to mentor junior scientists and manage in a matrix environment
- Comprehensive understanding of pre-clinical PK, PBPK
- Passion for data analysis, solving technical problems and applying new technologies to further scientific goals
- Knowledge of regulatory expectations regarding PBPK modeling is desired
- Proven ability to work in a team environment; ability to work well in a collaborative fast-paced team environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to influence
- Thorough theoretical and practical understanding of own scientific discipline
Key Leadership Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross-functionally with partners outside of team to enable higher performance.
- Learns fast, grasps the "essence" and can change course quickly where indicated.
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement.
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality.
- Level and compensation will be commensurate with experience.
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.