Technical Project Manager Infrastructure
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Successful project management is key to the success of the Innovation, Architecture and Innovation (IAI) organization within Business Technology Services (BTS) as we deliver and support cutting-edge technology for our AbbVie colleagues in business units across the globe. These technology solutions play a key role in keeping our colleagues and business units effective and efficient as they make a remarkable impact on patients’ lives. This is an exciting opportunity to join the Technical Project Management Team within Service Delivery Management and manage a variety of technical projects that support the success of our organization.
This position will be accountable for successful delivery of multiple Infrastructure, Lifecycle, Integration or Site-related technology projects. The successful candidate will collaborate with the project team, stakeholders, leadership and business and technology partners to achieve successful outcomes, managing and coordinating a multitude of interrelated activities within the constraints of human and financial resources and changing priorities to ensure the successful completion of said projects. Adding value, maintaining a bias for action as well as applying modern project management skills and practices is a requirement of this role and will directly impact the success of our organization and customers.
This position is expected to work with minimal oversight and can have has significant impact on the performance and perception of the Service Delivery Management. This candidate will work directly for the manager of the Technical Project Management team and will be asked to collaborate with other Project Managers within the Technical Project Management team and other PM groups in the broader organization. Candidate will be expected to adhere to guidelines and practices set up by the enterprise project management office (ePMO) as well as its partner groups the Integration Management Office (IMO) and AbbVie Transition Office (ATO) as appropriate.
Candidate will be expected to oversee all aspects of assigned projects and ensure commitments to scope, schedule and budget are met. Candidate will set deadlines, assign responsibilities, manage schedule and milestones and summarize project progress. Candidate will be expected to build and maintain working relationships with team members, vendors, and other departments contributing to the projects. Candidate is responsible for delivering all projects on time, within budget and meeting the desired outcomes and business requirements. Candidate is responsible for anticipating risks & issues, proactive risk mitigation and making recommendations to business and IT leadership to achieve successful outcomes. Candidate should become fluent in PMO methodologies and standards with planning, development & implementation experience. Candidate should be experienced with PMLC methodologies and delivering projects using a combination of delivery methods. Candidate should possess a proven record of leading project execution activities in a complex matrix environment to deliver results for business and IT stakeholders.
Create and sustain literacy in the IAI, Service Delivery Management and Technical Project Management teams and broader BTS organization; maintain clarity about values, visions, meaning, and purpose and how the organization aligns across functional areas. Use this knowledge to be an advocate to provide strategic direction and continuous improvement opportunities for the IAI, SDM, TPM and BTS organizations.
Responsible for managing the overall planning, execution and delivery of projects:
- Works with business and BTS management to establish and gain consensus on project scope, goals, objectives, deliverables, resources, business benefits and overall timeline and milestones.
- Develops project estimates, plans and approaches to manage end-to end project execution.
- Ensures that requirements are captured accurately and completely.
- Uses disciplined project management methodology to define scope, develop project plan, and execute projects that adhere to guidelines and deliver within cost and schedule.
- Strong cross-business unit / functional IT communication, influencing and negotiation to drive project results.
- Executes defined work plan obtaining authorized resources to ensure all activities are performed. Ensures projects are executed following PMLC requirements and with a targeted focus on risk identification and mitigation.
- Communicate project progress by producing timely and accurate project status and decision support information to Project Team, Department and Division management.
- Ensuring project closure including completion of lessons learned and required documentation.
Responsible for tracking project status and managing project issues and risks:
- Project Control: Assess the degree to which changes to scope, issues and risks will affect projects working with department, divisional management and sponsor to gain agreement for resolution. Measure performance to assure the project is progressing as compared to original plan and budget.
- Develop robust project risk management plans to ensure timely delivery, testing and commissioning of all projects with no impact to business continuity.
Responsible for building and leading effective project teams:
- Resource and Team Management: Coordinate resources to ensure project needs are addressed and effectively assign tasks and deliverables to team members based upon their abilities. Supervises and motivates cross-functional project team of subject matter experts in any number of roles. Subject Matter Expert support for other Projects Managers within the TPM, SDM and broader IAI organization.
- Using problem-solving/critical thinking skills, and independent thinking to overcome challenges.
- Adapting to cultural and organizational climates across global team.
- Serve as primary contact to department managers for critical change initiatives within a highly matrixed environment.
- Work with cross-functional team, contractors, and vendors to deliver critical projects.
- Experienced with leading projects in a structured PMO environment. Creation, management and ownership of key deliverables in a PMLC framework.
- Expertise in creating work breakdown structures, risk management techniques, cost estimating, schedule development and other concepts associated with project management methodologies.
- Analytical with attention to detail as well as ability to understand the big picture and impacts to cross-functional areas
- Highly motivated, results oriented team player, bias for action
- Excellent communication skills with experience in business and technical arenas
- PMP certification desired
- Project Management / execution experience with technology Infrastructure projects or programs of strongly preferred
- Experience in the Pharmaceutical industry strongly preferred
- Experience with PPM tools preferred
- Fluent in the Microsoft Office Suite
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Computer Science or related discipline, or equivalent experience
- 4-7 years’ experience in project management, business systems analysis, software development or deployment, with a minimum of 5 years’ experience managing projects
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.