Manager, External Animal Welfare and Compliance
HOW MIGHT YOU DEFY IMAGINATION?
Youve earned your degree. How will you use that achievement to reach your goals? Do more with the knowledge youve worked hard to acquire and the passion you already have. At Amgen, our shared missionto serve patientsdrives all that we do. It is key to our becoming one of the worlds leading biotechnology companies, reaching over 10 million patients worldwide. Become the professional you are meant to be in this meaningful role.Manager, External Animal Welfare and ComplianceLive
What you will do
Lets do this. Lets change the world. The External Animal Welfare and Compliance (EAWC) functional group is looking for an experienced individual that is motivated to lead the Animal Welfare Audit Program within EAWC. This position has both external and internal facing responsibilities that are important to ensure the welfare of research animals used to support drug discovery.
In this vital role you will review the program of veterinary care, standards and guidelines, protocol review and the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) to assure animal welfare for external (CRO and academia) in vivo efforts sponsored by Amgen. The qualified individual will perform the job independently with minimal supervision and work cross functionally in a virtual setting. Travel will be required for both auditing purposes and company business with the majority being within the US and Canada. The EAWC group is part of the Translational Safety and Bioanalytical Sciences department and supports all external animal-based research at Amgen.Responsibilities include:
- Maintain quality management systems required to achieve and maintain compliance with animal welfare standards, company policies, as well as all applicable regulatory requirements for external business partners (EBPs)
- Serve as liaison between EBPs and internal scientists for seamless research operations
- Perform periodic audits (in person, virtual and desktop) of EBPs with the goal of identifying gaps that will lead to continuous improvement of the animal welfare and quality management system
- Manage the external vendor animal welfare audit program with responsibility for report generation, identification of areas for improvement and subsequent communication with EBPs
- Subject Matter Authority (SME) providing input for vendor governance, on-boarding, contract management, managing critical metrics with vendors
- Educate Amgen partners on the importance of animal welfare compliance via seminars, white paper publication, peer reviewed publications etc.
- Serve as an animal welfare and compliance SME available for consultation with Amgen partners responsible for developing in vivo studies and the External Studies Ethical Review Committee (ESERC)
- Serve as 3Rs representative and key contributor for the internal 3Rs program
What we expect of you
We are all different, yet we all use our unique contributions to serve patients. The qualified professional we seek is a person with these qualifications.Basic Qualifications
Masters degree and 4 years of R&D or Scientific or Clinical and/or biotech/pharmaceutical experienceOr
Bachelors degree and 6 years of R&D or Scientific or Clinical and/or biotech/pharmaceutical experience
- Quality auditor certificate from ASQ or BSI or equivalent
- AALAS certification at the CMAR or LATG level and/or other laboratory animal certifications
- Previous clinical experience treating animals in a research setting or conducting in vivo research
- Previous experience conducting audits
- High proficiency with basic and advanced techniques (dosing, blood collection) for multiple species
- Solid understanding of The Guide, USDA regulations, AAALAC and veterinary standard methodologies
- Previous experience supporting animal welfare and compliance or IACUC function
- Possess strong leadership and interpersonal skills; can communicate effectively verbally and in writing
- Self-motivated, able to work independently, highly organized with a strong attention to detail
- Ability to balance multiple tasks and changing priorities along with fluctuations in the workload
Some of the vast rewards of working here
As we work to develop treatments that take care of others, so we work to care for our teammates professional and personal growth and well-being.
- Full support and career-development resources to expand your skills, enhance your expertise, and maximize your potential along your career journey
- A diverse and inclusive community of belonging, where teammates are empowered to bring ideas to the table and act
- Generous Total Rewards Plancomprising health, finance and wealth, work/life balance, and career benefitswith compensation and benefits rated above 4 stars (out of 5) on Glassdoor
for a career that defies imagination
Objects in your future are closer than they appear. Join us.
careers.amgen.comEqual Opportunity Statement
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider you without regard to your race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request an accommodation.
Join UsIf you're seeking a career where you can truly make a difference in the lives of others, a career where you can work at the absolute forefront of biotechnology with the top minds in the field, you'll find it at Amgen.Amgen, a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancer, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses.As an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for people around the world, Amgen fosters an inclusive environment of diverse, ethical, committed and highly accomplished people who respect each other but compete intensely to win. Together, we live the Amgen values as we continue advancing science to serve patients.Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.