Associate Scientist I/II, Protein Analytical Chemistry
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Since 2013, AbbVie has expanded its commitment to the San Francisco Bay Area, now represented by three facilities in Redwood City, South San Francisco, Sunnyvale and a future new Bay Area headquarters in South San Francisco. AbbVie employees in the Bay Area drive AbbVie’s research-based, innovation driven missions in healthcare. Specifically, Bay Area employees bring deep scientific expertise and commercial excellence to advance cancer care. Current oncology areas of focus include immuno-oncology, tumor targeting, tumor dependency and precision medicine. With facilities positioned in the heart of the biotechnology industry, we are able to collaborate with the best and brightest minds in oncology.
We have an exciting opportunity available for an Associate Scientist l/ II within the Protein Analytical Chemistry department in the CMC Biologics organization within R&D. The CMC Biologics organization is focused on the development of innovative biologics in the field of Oncology. This position will support CMC analytical development for an oncology pipeline that includes mAbs, ADCs, and novel bispecific antibody formats, through clinical proof-of-concept.
In this lab-based role, you will utilize state-of-the-art mass spectrometry, chromatography, and capillary electrophoresis instrumentation and methods to contribute to the development of AbbVie’s growing pipeline of clinical stage oncology biotherapeutics, which include novel bispecific constructs, antibody-drug conjugates, and monoclonal antibodies. You will conduct experiments to characterize and investigate attributes of biologic drug candidates to provide product and process understanding, and contribute to the development of innovative analytical methods that provide deeper insights into protein biotherapeutics across the development spectrum from candidate liability screening to process development to clinical development.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Perform capillary electrophoresis, HPLC and/or mass spectrometry testing to characterize post-translational modifications and support the development of therapeutic antibodies, antibody variants, and antibody drug conjugates (ADCs).
- Contribute to the development of state-of-the-art capillary electrophoresis, HPLC, and/or mass spectrometry methods to characterize biotherapeutic proteins and their associated variants and impurities.
- Assist in the development of innovative approaches to solve difficult analytical challenges.
- Properly maintain and calibrate scientific instruments used during the course of work
- Aid in the development, validation, and transfer of fit-for-purpose QC release and stability methods.
- Maintain accurate and complete original records of all work and results.
- Conduct studies and provides the highest quality data to the manager for CMC regulatory submissions (INDs/CTDs).
- Present work and results in team and group meetings.
- Associate Scientist II: Bachelor’s Degree (or equivalent education) in Chemistry, Biochemistry or a related discipline with typically 3 years of relevant experience, or Master’s Degree in the previous disciplines or equivalent education.
- Associate Scientist I: Bachelor’s Degree (or equivalent education) in Chemistry, Biochemistry or a related discipline Solid background in biochemistry, chemistry, biology, or other appropriate studies
- Should possess a solid understanding of proteins and protein chemistry, central dogma of biology, and key tenets biochemistry, particularly as they relate to biotherapeutic protein drugs and their development.
- Demonstrated desire and capacity to grow analytical chemistry skillset, become proficient with new techniques, expand knowledge of the industry and scientific field, and develop professional scientific competencies to work confidently and independently.
- Proven record of strong academic achievement
- Must have strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be capable of working in a fast-paced, collaborative environment and managing multiple concurrent assignments with independence.
Additional Preferred Proficiencies.
- Practice performing capillary electrophoresis, HPLC, and/or mass spectrometry methods as they apply to protein characterization.
- Prior exposure to the CMC analytical development of monoclonal antibodies or related biotherapeutic proteins.
- Previous peer reviewed publication warmly welcomed.
Significant Work Activities
Yes, 10 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.