Vice President / Senior Vice President, Business Development
Manager: Executive Vice President, Chief Business Officer
Department: Business Development
Sangamo Therapeutics is a genomic medicine company building value with cutting-edge work across four distinct but complementary technology platforms – gene therapy, cell therapy, in vivo genome editing, and in vivo genome regulation. At Sangamo, we are passionate in developing genomic medicines to transform the lives of patients with serious diseases. We transform lives by building a robust, sustainable, differentiated, innovative, and high value genomic medicine pipeline that addresses patients with life-limiting conditions. Sangamo takes pride in being the first to edit endogenous human genes, expected to be the first to treat patients with gene edited CAR TReg cells, and first to treat patients with in vivo genome editing. Our top priority is to meet the needs of patients with commitment and compassion. Along with our commitment to science and to our patients, we also endeavor to create an inclusive environment that promotes and values diversity. Sangamo is a company where individuals can flourish, grow and develop their expertise.
Sangamo has multiple collaborations with blue chip biopharma companies that reinforce the
promise of our science and platforms. These collaborations have important financial and strategic benefits. We partner where we believe we can leverage partners’ therapeutic and clinical expertise, and commercial resources to more rapidly bring medicines to patients.
Partnerships have provided ~$815 million in upfront and milestone payments and th potential to earn $7 billion in milestones , in addition to royalty payments
These partnerships are reflective of the value the industry sees in Sangamo’s technology to
address difficult diseases and expand Sangamo’s addressable markets.
We are seeking top talent to join our mission. Let’s build a better future together.
Sangamo Therapeutics is seeking a Vice President / Senior Vice President, Business Development to lead Sangamo’s Business Development function. This is a highly strategic role that will develop strategies and drive execution to build high-value partnerships and collaborations within the genomic medicine arena that optimize our technology platforms in gene therapy, cell therapy, in vivo genome editing, and in vivo genome regulation. The ideal candidate will demonstrate knowledge of the business, proven ability to source, negotiate and close deals, and proven strategic and critical thinking.
- Co-Chair the Scientific Licensing and Review Committee.
- Develop, lead, and implement a cohesive strategic plan for global business development based on the corporate strategy and corporate development priorities.
- Lead and implement the full partnership development cycle, including opportunity identification and prioritization, market research, needs analysis, partnership solutions, and preparing the transaction plan and closing transactional deals.
- Source, evaluate, develop, structure, negotiate and close business and financial terms for in-licensing, out-licensing, and partnership transactions.
- Hire, develop and mentor the business development team.
- Collaborate with leadership, internal stakeholders, and project teams to define and initiate collaborative projects that advance our platforms.
- Prepare and deliver presentations to internal and external audiences in support of business development initiatives.
- Establish and foster relationships with external targets aligned to business opportunities.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIREMENTS:
- BS or advanced degree in a scientific field. MBA or equivalent business/financial experience preferred.
- 10+ years of progressive business development experience with at least 5 years’ experience leading and implementing strategy.
- Experience leading and developing high-performing teams.
- A keen business sense and thorough understanding of industry trends and competitive landscape.
- Ability to structure, negotiate, and build collaborative partnerships with a strong track record of success (Deal Sheet)
- Ability and experience working collaboratively and effectively, as both a team leader and team member, with internal and external partners and stakeholders.
- Established network across the biotech industry, preferably with a solid understanding of product development, regulatory, and scientific affairs in genomic medicine.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Personal commitment to contribute, lead by example, and inspire others.
- Demonstrated success in prioritizing, managing, and executing business development goals with ownership and alignment to the corporate objectives.
- Knowledge and experience in performing appropriate risk assessments.
- Travel up to 25% (post COVID restrictions) which may include both domestic and international travel.
Sangamo is an equal opportunity employer.
The above reflects management’s definition of essential functions for this position but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
The above duties are representative only; management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time.