Associate Director, Accounting
Manager: Senior Director, Corporate Controller
Location: Brisbane, California
Sangamo Therapeutics is a genomic medicine company building value with cutting-edge work across four distinct but complementary technology platforms – gene therapy, cell therapy, in vivo genome editing, and in vivo genome regulation. At Sangamo, we are passionate in developing genomic medicines to transform the lives of patients with serious diseases. We transform lives by building a robust, sustainable, differentiated, innovative, and high value genomic medicine pipeline that addresses patients with life-limiting conditions. Sangamo takes pride in being the first to edit endogenous human genes, first to treat patients with gene edited T cells, and first to treat patients with in vivo genome editing. Our top priority is to meet the needs of patients with commitment and compassion. Along with our commitment to science and to our patients, we also endeavor to create an inclusive environment that promotes and values diversity. Sangamo is a company where individuals can flourish, grow and develop their expertise.
We are seeking top talent to join our mission. Let’s build a better future together.
Sangamo Therapeutics is seeking an experienced and highly motivated lead for its treasury function and accounts payable team. This position will be responsible for certain close activities and leadership of the AP Team. The ideal candidate should have strong accounting and analytical skills, a passion for teamwork, a drive for excellence, the desire to develop efficient and scalable processes, and be committed to continuously developing themselves and their team.
- Lead all aspects of Treasury operations, including coordination and monitoring of externally managed portfolios, ensure adequate liquidity for working capital needs, adherence to investment guidelines and policies, develop and recommend investment strategies, and performing related accounting processes.
- Lead all finance activities for Collaboration and License arrangements, collaborate with the R&D organization and external partners, prepare annual budgets and quarterly forecasts, ensure management of budget within authorized target, enable effective decision making and adherence to contractual terms, set up the processes and procedures to track service activities and related cost, support the revenue recognition and project accounting process.
- Lead Accounts Payable function, including management of direct reports and a 3rd party provider, to ensure timely, accurate and reliable vendor payments, and manage financial close processes.
- Support the monthly, quarterly and annual financial close, reporting and audits and ensures that they are conducted in accordance with deadlines, reviews journal entries, accruals, analysis and reconciliations.
- Represent the Finance department in liaising with IT regarding various technical initiatives, including system upgrades, change management, implementation of systems and evaluation of new technologies, products and services to improve and simplify company operations.
- Develop and maintain the Company’s accounting policies and procedures in accordance with applicable rules and regulations and ensures adherence to accounting policies and procedures.
- Develop management reports, including KPIs and dashboards.
- Support corporate and departmental initiatives, including the implementation of a procure-to-pay system or other process improvements.
- Responsible for the execution, compliance, and development of Sarbanes-Oxley Section 404 controls, ensure alignment of controls with business processes, provide guidance to the Finance team as well as cross-functional departments.
- Perform ad-hoc analyses and projects as needed.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s in finance, economics or accounting
- CPA or other professional accounting certification desired
- 8+ years of relevant experience, including public accounting experience. Biotech experience is a plus.
- Excellent Excel spreadsheet skills including financial modeling, accounting system and proficiency with other Microsoft Office products (Word, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Strong understanding of US GAAP and experience with SEC regulations
- Excellent communication skills, written and oral, to facilitate interaction through all levels of the organization
- Ability to quickly learn and utilize reporting and other management systems and tools, experience with Oracle ERP a plus
- Excellent project management skills and the ability to collaborate cross-functionally.
- Ability to adapt to a non-routine, flexible and fast paced environment
Sangamo is an equal opportunity employer
The above reflects management’s definition of essential functions for this position but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
The above duties are representative only; management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time.