Associate Director, R&D Financial Reporting
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Associate Director R&D Financial Reporting
The primary objective of this position is to manage all aspects of Financial Reporting and Financial Compliance for the ~ $5Bn Global Research & Development organization. Specifically, this position is responsible for ensuring the accuracy of all financial reporting, including monthly close, balance sheet, SOX, audit liaison, and US/OUS financial transparency reporting. In addition, this position is responsible for ensuring the accuracy and integrity of the financial statements per GAAP.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Lead the R&D Financial Reporting function for all monthly close activities, reporting of monthly actuals per GAAP, and analyses vs. benchmarks. Scope includes global R&D P&L and global balance sheet responsibilities. Maintain integrity of the financial reporting process by ensuring accuracy and reasonableness of the reported financial results. Includes serving as lead on all internal audit and external audit requests, including ensuring all established Sarbanes Oxley (SOX) procedures and controls are followed.
- Lead the legacy AbbVie and legacy Allergan R&D Financial Compliance Teams (FCT’s) which have responsibility for all Global R&D transparency reporting of transfers of value to HCPs/HCOs as required by the Sunshine Act, and other CMS/Government and OUS EFPIA reporting requirements.
- Oversee annual Tax reporting requirements related to US income tax, R&D Tax Credit, Orphan Drug Tax Credit, and other tax reporting requirements.
- Partner with the R&D business function Financial Directors to drive resolution on various reporting matters which require facilitation with Transfer Pricing, Corporate Accounting, and Financial Shared Services (FSS).
- Staff Development - Responsible for delegating to and coaching a direct staff of 6 plus 3 extended staff employees to ensure an optimal level of support. Additionally, provide coaching and career development opportunities to develop and retain a high performing staff and actively work to maintain the excellent culture in R&D Finance. Manage a summer intern in R&D Finance.
- Serve as business liaison with BTS on TM1, COMPASS (project accounting system) support, functionality, and enhancements, and serve as R&D Finance co-lead of the ASPIRE standardization project.
- Responsible for all ad hoc requests for R&D financial information, including Corporate internal and external surveys, representing R&D on all Accounting COE and other Corporate-led efficiencies projects.
- Serve as workstream lead for 2 Allergan integration workstreams (Reporting/Consolidations & Transparency Reporting) – including acting as R&D RTR lead for OMI (Operating Model Integration), and overseeing Transparency process harmonization & automation for both L-ABV and L-AGN
Qualifications - External
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance.
- Requires 7-10 years progressive accounting or finance experience.
- Proven leadership and experience managing and developing direct reports and extended staff.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated analytical and technical accounting skills within a broad framework of AbbVie’s financial policies (CFM’s) and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, plus the ability to independently problem solve to drive an effort through to completion.
- Preferred: MBA in Accounting or Finance and/or CPA/CMA
- Preferred: Solid understanding of automated accounting systems including SAP, TM1, HFM, and desktop productivity applications.
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 5 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.