Research Specialist / Scientist
Cerus Corporation is seeking a highly motivated and skilled Research Specialist/Scientist to join our Hematology team. The Research Specialist/Scientist will initiate, direct and execute research and development studies to support the INTERCEPT Blood System for red blood cell products in development. The individual will collaborate closely with team members, other departments internally and with external collaborators to achieve department and corporate goals.
Serve as a Study Director overseeing the study from its conception to completion: study design, protocol preparation, study execution, data analysis, and report preparation.
- Design and manage research and development studies for INTERCEPT Blood System for red blood cell products in development.
- Be able to analyze complex data, identify trends and aberrations in data, develop solutions, and report results in a clear and impactful manner to drive project completion.
- Effectively work with collaborators for scientific advancement or technical problem solving.
- Serve as a scientific and technical expert on project teams in the areas of transfusion medicine, hematology, and clinical trials, by contributing ideas and strategies, developing and executing plans, and reporting activities and results.
- Work cross-functionally with various departments, including Regulatory, Quality, Biostatistics and Clinical.
- Develop, validate and implement new biochemical and analytical methods and technologies for project advancement.
- Demonstrate strong organizational, problem solving, communications, and project management skills.
- Be creative, results driven, adaptable, and able to influence individuals and teams towards timely completion of company goals.
- Maintain a high level of professional expertise by staying current with the scientific literature.
- Train, mentor, and/or provide guidance to lab assistants, research associates, or assistant scientists.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Ph.D. in a biology-related discipline preferred with a minimum of 1-2 years relevant experience, or MS/MA in a biology-related discipline with a minimum of 8 years relevant experience, or BA/BS degree in a scientific discipline or equivalent with a minimum of 11+ years of job-related work experience.
- Strong scientific background in the areas of hematology, hemostasis/coagulation, and transfusion medicine is desirable.
- Experience with flow cytometry, ELISA assays, biochemical assays is desirable.
- Experience in early or late-stage product development in a Medical Device, Pharma, or Biotech company is desirable.
- Experience in writing manuscripts, reports, and/or documentations for regulatory submissions.
- Experience with GLP, GMP, and GCP regulations is desirable.
- Excellent problem solving, analytical, scientific, and computer skills.
- Able to adapt to changing priorities, and demonstrate strong organizational and prioritization skills.
- Able to support and lead multiple projects simultaneously.
- Demonstrate initiative, dedication, and ability to work independently and as part of a cross-functional team.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal, written, interpersonal).