Director, Marketing Insights
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Director, Marketing Insights (Grade 21)
Primary Function / Primary Goals / Objectives:
The role of the Marketing Insights Director within U.S. Commercial, AbbVie is to develop and execute an integrated Insights plan in support of the strategic and tactical plans that drive the components of the Immunology franchise business.
This position’s primary objectives are: Lead and develop the insights function for the franchise, ensure successful execution of the strategic and tactical plans against key stakeholders including patients, physicians and payers driven by strong and differentiating insights that are clearly communicated to, understood by and acted upon by the appropriate Immunology marketing team(s).
- Drive strategic plan development and tactical plan execution by ensuring that motivating insights are identified by the Immunology franchise teams and executed by both the XFranchise and franchise teams (Rheum, Derm and Gastro).
- Provide guidance and direction to Immunology Consumer marketing teams in understanding physician and patient behaviors regarding media consumption and the associated investment, integration and improved efficiencies of paid media assets.
- Lead insight creation and sharing for new product development opportunities from ideation to launch. Integrate insights from common platform to guide development of semi-custom platforms for specific franchise adoption
- Understand market research design and implications for the therapeutic area and identifies sound approaches to research based on the hypotheses and situational constraints; interprets research findings and synthesizes them into actionable business insights.
- Leads the market research team in a manner that ensures that market research professionals have access to, use, and are properly trained and instructed in the application of appropriate methodologies; both traditional and cutting edge innovative research methodologies, and capabilities.
- Apply principles of strong verbal and visual communication that includes strong client relationships and strong visualization and storytelling skills that integrate insights from a wide array of available resources.
- Guide the marketing and brand strategy through synthesized insights and recommendations on the consumer/patient, physician, category, brand, payor and channel.
- Comfortable in collaborating and influencing integrated brand team members though all facets of the business process, and communicating /influencing/presenting to senior management.
- Play a leadership role in advancing the function in addition to the direct team.
- Possess strong understanding of the broad healthcare environment and specific therapeutic areas to identify and proactively address opportunities and threats.
- Be on top of relevant trends, identify and champion opportunities with action plans to senior management.
- Significantly increase the productivity of Abbvie and CA&O partner resources through effective use of external suppliers and contractors aligned with key Abbvie efficiency objectives.
Supervisory / Management Responsibilities:
Direct Reports: 2-4; suppliers and contractors as needed
Minimum: Bachelor’s degree in Business, Psychology, Sociology, Life Science, Market Research
Preferred: Master’s Degree (Business Administration, Statistics, Economics) with a concentration in marketing/sales/market research
This position requires 10-15 years of experience in the identification, articulation and application of customer insights and the use of this information in the development of business plans and strategies. It requires strong leadership skills and a proven ability to work closely and effectively with all corporate functions and senior management.
This position requires an intimate knowledge of the marketing and sales planning processes and the ability to develop and use specialized market research techniques.
Command of the following software programs (Powerpoint, Excel).
Accountability / Scope:
Reports to Director, Commercial Insights and Analytics
Builds relationships and interacts with direct staff/team, internal peers, forecasting, finance, Customer Experience, legal, RMs, SDs, marketing directors and product managers, GMs/VPs, vendors.
Budget responsibility: $2MM - $10MM
Focus (Scope): 60% Strategic/40% Tactical
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 15 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.