Senior Safety Data Scientist (Immunology)
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Title: Senior Safety Data Scientist
* This position can be in person or remote
Purpose: This position partners with cross functional stakeholders in support of the product safety profile and benefit risk throughout product lifecycle through signal detection, signal evaluation, and preparation of written and verbal summaries of signal management activities and risks to patient safety to present to senior management and regulatory authorities globally.
- Responsible for standard surveillance activities for a product’s life cycle (one or more assigned compounds and products) through review of safety data from clinical trials, safety databases, and the literature.
- Collaborates with safety and clinical teams to develop strategies and approaches for signal assessments and regulatory requests by analyzing data from multiple sources.
- Analyzes data to support signal assessment and contributes to ad hoc regulatory safety requests using data from multiple sources with supervision.
- Utilizes medical judgment to determine the impact of identified safety issues on the compound/ product’s benefit-risk profile.
- Communicates findings of surveillance activities and safety assessments to product teams and leadership to inform on necessary risk minimization activities, including label changes.
- Collaborative preparation and maintenance of safety sections of Clinical Summary of Safety, Clinical Study Reports, Company Core Data Sheets and Risk Management Plan.
- Support strategy development, authorship and review of global aggregate safety reports in accordance with regulatory requirements and standard operating procedures with supervision.
- Prepares summaries of key safety data for PST, SRB, senior management, Advisory and other similar meetings with supervision.
- Proficient in pharmacovigilance regulations, guidelines, and company standard operating procedures
- In depth understanding of compounds within assigned therapeutic areas, including safety profile and where applicable, labeling, literature, clinical and regulatory issues.
- Degree in a Health Sciences (e.g., Pharmacy, Epidemiology, Nursing);
- Bachelors + 2 years clinical/pharma or safety work experience
- Masters or doctorate, 1-2 years clinical/pharma or safety work experience (e.g. MPH, PharmD, PhD, or Masters in a Health Science)
- Knowledge of the drug development process which includes conducting clinical trials, scientific strategy and operations management for the planning, execution and reporting of clinical development programs, regulatory requirements for submission, product launch and post marketing support.
- Understanding of tools, standards and approaches used to efficiently evaluate drug safety is desirable, not required.
- Familiar with working in a multidisciplinary, matrix team situation
- Effective oral and written communication skills with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Microsoft WORD and EXCEL skills and Basic Project Management skills
- Able to work independently with guidance from manager
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.