Manager, Meeting Planning
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Collaborate across the organization with various stakeholders to deliver meetings that are aligned with the objectives of our business partner’s and compliant with all corporate policies and industry guidelines. Develop and maintain a robust knowledge of our business and business partner’s needs as it relates to meetings.
Directly responsible for program development from concept to completion, budget forecasting and planning, contract management, project management and supplier management while providing exemplary customer service. AbbVie meeting scope to include but not limited to Internal Meeting and HCP Meetings such as Ad Boards, Group Consulting, Investigator Meetings, FDA Meetings, and Scale Validations.
Meetings represented are strategic in nature and achieving the stated objectives of each, are an integral component of, and have a direct impact on the success of the enterprise. Each meeting represents a significant investment of both financial resources and human capitol and as such, requires seamless execution.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
In alignment with Bold For Life, the Meeting Manager must demonstrate the following behaviors and abilities:
Deliver Business Results
- Sole point of contact with business partner through program development to completion of meeting.
- Understand business partner’s meeting objectives and evaluate program/event histories, budget considerations and contractual provisions.
- Develop, communicate, and manage a project plan in support of concurrent meetings
- Management of logistical components such as communications, meeting space, room set-ups, food and beverage, technology, audio visual, sleeping room reservations, production and on-site management.
- Management of program materials including registration, invitations, confirmations, , name badges, and surveys based on the need.
- Management of meeting suppliers including venues, meeting management companies, production companies, etc. to insure focus on stated meeting objectives.
- Deliver against defined SOW by project managing the delivery of meetings. Identify and secure resources required and within budget. Manage resources by clearly communicating expectations, timelines and setting appropriate vendor involvement.
- Responsible for on-site execution of the event, including oversight of vendors in support of registration, monitoring F&B functions, general session set up, and evening affairs such as reception and dinners. Travel required, when necessary.
- Identify, analyze and monitor potential risk. Utilize risk management techniques and strategies. Provide contingency plans and appropriately manage emergencies
Enhance Organization and Department Performance:
- Foster clear, consistent, and open collaboration with business partners across the organization.
- Identify and pursue new ideas and constructive change to improve the value derived from Allergan meetings.
- Drive compliance with all legal and regulatory rules and guidelines: PhRMA, OIG, Sarbanes-Oxley compliance standards and laws.
- Monitor performance against objectives and budgets providing periodic updates to business partners.
- Participate in special projects and planning with Department Leadership.
- Lead or participate in cross-departmental project teams in support of meetings, develop meeting plan, mitigate risk and develop appropriate contingency plans. Set timeline for deliverables and keep projects on schedule and within budget.
- Audit program budget, track and review all meeting supplier invoices versus budgeted items and contract agreements. Insure resolution of all invoice discrepancies and timely processing of all invoices and development of final expense summary versus budget.
- Conduct pre-conference and post-conference meetings and perform post-event analysis
Demonstrate Personal Leadership
- Act with integrity, initiative, and sound judgment to reinforce trust, professionalism, and commitments.
- Communicate regularly, openly, and effectively with both internal and external colleagues as appropriate.
- Collaborate, inspire and partner with Procurement Sourcing Manager and fellow Meeting Project Managers to achieve and exceed objectives.
- Priority to attend Seminars and Training that are relevant to the job description and meetings industry.
- Stay current with trends, new technologies, and all regulations affecting the meetings /corporate industry.
Additional Job Responsibilities:
- Demonstrate ability to actively listen to needs of business partner and formulate meeting strategy.
- Demonstrate ability to communicate effectively with both internal and external colleagues.
- Demonstrate ability to create and track performance metric goals and cost savings goals
- Demonstrate ability to develop and lead presentations
- Excellent business/financial acumen.
- Demonstrate ability to lead, motivate and influence at all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrate excellent customer service skills
- Demonstrate ability to foster and leverage professional relationships.
- Demonstrate ability to identify and solve complex contractual, process, and operational business challenges.
- Have a clear understanding of Meetings market, trends and innovative opportunities.
- Willing and able to travel domestically and internationally 10%-15% of the time.
Minimum Qualifications to be considered for this position:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of 5 years in one or more of the following areas: Meeting Planning, Hospitality Industry or other Meetings related fields, Sales or Operations.
- Certified Meeting Planner Designation preferred.
- CVENT experience preferred.
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 5 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.