AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
AbbVie Information Research is seeking an established Solutions Architect to develop and integrate applications to support the high-performing, large scale technology capabilities of the AbbVie R&D Convergence Hub (ARCH). Under the direction of the Convergence Platform Program Lead, and delivering on the vision of executive leadership, this person will conceive, design, engineer, and implement data and software solutions that solve significant scientific or business problems.
They will lead technical engagement with various partners and technical specialists across functional disciplines to ensure the success of the ARCH. This requires a strong background and understanding of the software lifecycle models to think structurally about business, product, and technical challenges while overseeing and providing guidance to implementation teams. It also needs hands-on technical design experience, architecture skills, technical expertise, and excellent communication skills.
This is an opportunity to join the team building an integrated R&D data and analytics platform, powering data-driven insights that ultimately lead to better, faster decisions and therapies for patients. You will help enable and grow our culture of data driven insights and decision making, improving R&D productivity by shortening cycle times. Most importantly, by helping to unlock information like deeper understanding of novel therapies, biomarkers that are predictive of response, novel endpoints, and more, you will help find cures to make a remarkable impact in the lives of our people and patients.
- Conceive, design, engineer, and implement software solutions by studying information needs; conferring with users; studying systems flow, data usage, and work processes; investigating problem areas; Demonstrate the ability to resolve key project hurdles and assumptions by effectively utilizing available information and technical expertise.
- Provide comprehensive consultation to business unit and IT management and staff at the highest technical level on all phases of application programming and processes for diverse development platforms, computing environments (e.g. host based, distributed systems, client server, software, hardware, technologies and tools, etc.).
- Demonstrate knowledge of the pharmaceutical business, and utilize this knowledge in the rapid advancement of agile, impactful, and cost-effective solutions
- Highly autonomous and productive in performing activities, requiring only minimal direction from or interaction with supervisor.
- Research and evaluate alternative solutions and recommend the most efficient and cost-effective application programming solution. May code new or modified programs, reuse existing code through the use of program development software alternatives and/or integrates purchased solutions.
- Matures and leverages relationships with affiliates, subsidiaries, vendors, and industry peers in accordance with Abbvie Values, Vendor Management Office, and Purchasing to further the mission, vision and goals of the organization.
- May mentor/supervise a team of one or more and guide and evaluate the performance of those individuals; is accountable for the effective performance of the team/individuals.
- Understand and adhere to corporate standards regarding applicable Corporate and Divisional Policies, including code of conduct, safety, GxP compliance, data security, and the software development lifecycle.
- Bachelor’s Degree 7 years of experience, Master’s Degree 6 years of experience, PhD 2 years of experience in application program development. Work experience in the pharmaceutical industry preferred.
- Requires in‐depth knowledge of the systems development life cycle, client area’s functions and systems, and systems application program development technological alternatives.
- Proven implementation of creative technology solutions that advanced the business.
- Excellent written and oral English communication skills.
- Understanding of software development practices and technologies
- Familiarity with a variety of programming languages and concepts such as Java, Python, REST APIs
- Data technology competencies in concepts like SQL, Hadoop, NoSQL, Apache Spark, Cypher/Neo4j
- Amazon Web Services (AWS) familiarity with data pipelines, micro-services, event-driven processing preferred
- Hands-on CI/CD and containerization knowledge and experience, Jenkins preferred
- Statistics and data science familiarity
- Technical background in healthcare, laboratory diagnostics, medical devices or pharmaceutical companies.
- Practical experience in a scientific discipline such as biology, pharmacology or related, ideally a BS or related degree
- Ability to work in an agile, fast-paced environment
- Ability to manage time and deliver results across multiple workstreams at once
- Ability to communicate effectively with multiple groups within the organization and effectively collaborate with external partners
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.