Associate Director, Compliance Excellence
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Associate Director, Compliance Excellence - US Commercial Compliance
The Associate Director of Compliance Excellence is responsible for leading communication, agility, and innovation for the US Commercial Compliance team. This person, working with US Commercial Compliance leadership, will ensure compliance controls are in place for new projects and capabilities proposed by the US Commercial brand teams. They must be confident in and comfortable with a cross functional team structure and adept at collaboration /influence management of key cross functional stakeholders and leaders. Position will also require the Associate Director to connect and align with the communication leads across US Commercial to develop compliance related communication plans pertaining to decisions made by OEC, Legal and US Commercial Leadership. Communication accountabilities include designing, implementing, and maintaining an internal communication infrastructure that weaves compliance priorities throughout the organizational culture to drive awareness, action, engagement, and change management. They will partner with US Commercial Compliance colleagues to ensure that standards of communication are adhered to and that innovation processes are infused into US Commercial Compliance supported projects.
- Building effective relationships to work collaboratively with US Commercial Leaders, US Commercial Compliance, FFE CA&O and cross-functional partners for communicating and implementing decisions made by OEC, Legal and Senior US Commercial or Executive leadership
- Ensuring cohesive communication across relevant stakeholders to craft compliance action plans, implement solutions, and monitor initiatives
- Working cross-functionally with senior management, OEC and Legal and other internal stakeholders in partnership to create, socialize, optimize, and implement new compliance initiatives into commercial teams
- Designing and executing a communications strategy that brings the compliance narrative to life through compelling content, creative storytelling, engaging experiences, and rich written digital and video communications
- Working with the It’s About Time (IAT) Team to identify unnecessary admin burden resulting from compliance expectations and co-creating with the field and IAT team solutions for more agile processes
- Responsible for establishing governance for new brand initiatives that require US Commercial Compliance oversight or engagement
- Partnering with USCC Leadership and OEC to analyze key compliance metrics and recommend novel ways of portraying the data in a compelling way that resonates with Senior Commercial and OEC Leadership
- With US Commercial Compliance colleagues and OEC, responsible for developing innovative approaches to commercial compliance training in live, virtual, online and email, app platforms for individuals and leaders
- With OEC, Legal and other SMEs evaluate new brand initiatives or existing legacy ABV or legacy AGN processes to identify potential compliance risks in proposed and existing procedures, policies and training and develop proposed mitigation plans for approval by cross functional business partners
- Identify evolving compliance needs within the changing healthcare landscape and co-lead with Director of US Commercial Compliance US Commercial responses to new federal/state/local laws and account restrictions impacting sales and marketing activities.
This person must also:
- Effectively represent US Commercial Compliance Leadership Team
- Develop a strategy and plan to reframe how US Commercial Compliance is viewed by commercial stakeholders – to be seen as a partner to enable business capabilities
- Interact with and influence all levels of commercial, OEC and Legal leadership to develop compliance innovation strategies, build clear and aligned compliance communications and design and develop novel compliance training strategies that will contribute to enhanced compliant execution in the field and within the marketing and MABI teams in US Commercial
- BS/BA degree required
- Knowledge of applicable regulations and standards affecting Pharmaceutical Products specifically:
- 8-15 years’ experience in pharmaceutical / healthcare experience with demonstrated success required
- Strategic thinking & business planning skills, necessary to diagnose needs, develop, direct, and influence commercial compliance strategies and communications.
- Extensive project management experience, managing cross-functional teams and/or external partners through large projects or initiatives.
- Skilled in communicating with broad teams involving change management expectations
- Certified Compliance Professional (CCP) and/or Certified Compliance Executive (CCE) credentials
- Experience in marketing, sales management, and/or compliance preferred
- Knowledge of compliance requirements in the pharmaceutical/medical device industry
- Experience in influencing without authority within complex pharma/device organizations
- Leadership experience with commercial and/or compliance teams
Lean Six Sigma Black Belt designation
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.