Sr. Medical Science Liaison/Medical Science Liaison - Hemophilia, Southeast
BioMarin’s Research & Development group is responsible for everything from research and discovery to post-market clinical development. Research & Development involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavors. Our teams work on developing first-in-class and best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with rare diseases. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Hemophilia Medical Science Liaison (MSL or Sr. MSL) is a regional position supporting the scientific and business interests of BioMarin by cultivating current and future thought leaders in academic and clinical medicine at the local, regional and national level through in-depth, fair-balanced scientific discussions and interactions. The MSL will support clinical trials through company-sponsored research, the initiation and development of Investigator Research proposals (IRs) and support of BioMarin registries, safety studies and other clinical programs. These thought leader interactions will complement or supplement the overall Hemophilia product development plan. The MSL must possess in depth knowledge of BioMarin’s approved products, agents in the pipeline, and all associated disease state areas. The MSL must possess the capacity to coordinate and manage solo initiatives or partnerships with external partners independently or with a minimum amount of oversight. This position will report into the Global Medical Affairs department and work closely with the Commercial and the Clinical Teams.
Territory will be Southeast to include Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, North and South Carolina, Puerto Rico, Tennessee and West Virginia. States could vary
- Develop and execute Hemophilia scientific plans within their region to meet company-defined goals within corporate and regulatory guidelines for products both marketed and in development
- Visit potential research sites to determine the site’s ability to conduct and accrue within clinical research studies and registries (i.e. patient volume, research experience, methodologies, competing studies)
- Implementation and coordination of external research (Investigator Research) intended to support the clinical and scientific strategy for the Hemophilia team
- Identify and build mutually beneficial long-term relationships with key Hemophilia Treatment Centers, Investigators and key institutions to address current and future business needs
- Support the clinical department by forwarding potential investigators for other BioMarin products in development
- Maintain clinical and technical expertise in Hemophilia therapeutic area; review scientific journals, attend scientific and key technical meetings and partner with medical, research and commercial teams
- Conducts and analyzes literature searches to provide clinical insights for North American Medical Affairs
- Demonstrate thorough understanding of both Hemophilia clinical strategies and priorities
- Deliver high quality, scientific and fair-balanced discussions and presentations on BioMarin products to physicians and other key external customers
- Provide medical support of BioMarin products during scientific symposia
- Identify and recommend speakers for BioMarin’s Speaker’s Bureau and Advisory Boards
- Assist in the site level management of the publication plan timelines
- Provide clinical education support for internal customers
- Proactively provides feedback on emerging clinical/competitive trends
- Assure compliance with BioMarin operational guidelines
- At least 3 years of hemophilia MSL experience preferred
- Ability to quickly and easily learn new scientific and technical information as well as ability to interpret key information and translate into educational and research needs
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and interpersonal skills
- Project management understanding and experience
- Position will require 60-75% travel for field and home office obligations
- Experience in product launch development and execution
- Experience in product strategy and execution
- Experience with US payer landscape and payer discussions/presentations
- Knowledge of regulations impacting Medical Affairs and field activities in the pharmaceutical industry
Advanced degree preferred (e.g. PharmD, PhD, etc.). Will consider Master’s degree, with extensive experience.
This position will report into the Global Medical Affairs department and work closely with the Commercial and the Clinical Teams.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.