Research Scientist, Molecular Biology (CONTRACT)
Manager: Associate Director
Department: Analytical Development, Bioassay Group
Location: Brisbane, California
Sangamo Therapeutics is a genomic medicine company building value with cutting-edge work across four distinct but complementary technology platforms – gene therapy, cell therapy, in vivo genome editing, and in vivo genome regulation. At Sangamo, we are passionate in developing genomic medicines to transform the lives of patients with serious diseases. We transform lives by building a robust, sustainable, differentiated, innovative, and high value genomic medicine pipeline that addresses patients with life-limiting conditions. Sangamo takes pride in being the first to edit endogenous human genes, first to treat patients with gene edited T cells, and first to treat patients with in vivo genome editing. Our top priority is to meet the needs of patients with commitment and compassion. Along with our commitment to science and to our patients, we also endeavor to create an inclusive environment that promotes and values diversity. Sangamo is a company where individuals can flourish, grow and develop their expertise.
We are seeking top talent to join our mission. Let’s build a better future together.
Sangamo Therapeutics is seeking a Molecular Biology Research Scientist who will perform laboratory-based activities to design, develop Molecular Biology and NGS (Next Generation Sequencing) platform methods for the characterization of the Company’s recombinant Adeno-associated Virus (rAAV) gene therapy, genome editing, and cell therapy products.
The successful candidate will develop phase appropriate methods and will be responsible for development, optimization, and pre-qualification of methods. For some methods, participate in the internal method transfer to quality control lab. The successful candidate must have solid experience in the molecular biology methods.
- Develop, optimize, and pre-qualify the molecular biology methods for rAAV gene therapy, genome regulation, genome editing, and cell therapy products.
- Perform proof-of-concept experiments to enable development of new NGS applications to monitor the quality of drug substance and drug products.
- Run sequencing assays with NGS, including preparation of sequencing libraries, operating our in-house sequencer, running QC.
- Introduce novel constructs (DNA) into mammalian cells for assay development and support the development of engineered cell lines. Develop qPCR, RT-qPCR and ddPCR assays.
- Collaborate with the internal bioinformatics scientists for data interpretation and generate presentations for group and department presentations. Write SOPs for the developed method.
- Train and transfer the methods to internal sample testing group.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIREMENTS:
- PhD degree in Cell biology, Biochemistry, or related disciplines. M.S. degree in Biochemistry with 2 years experience or a B.S. degree with at least 4 years of experience in pharmaceutical industry.
- Experience in molecular biology including cloning, Next Generation sequencing, quantitative PCR and dd PCR is required.
- Experience in the Illumina NGS workflows including DNA extraction, library preparation, and sequencing
- NGS related bioinformatics skills such as ability to run shell scripts in Linux and/or command lines is desired. Higher end programming skills is a plus.
- Ability to follow SOP's and to perform testing in an accurate and reproducible manner.
- Candidate with the Ph.D. expected to draft the SOPs and additional technical documents related to assay development.
- Effective problem-solving/troubleshooting skills required.
Sangamo is an equal opportunity employer
The above reflects management’s definition of essential functions for this position but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. The above duties are representative only; management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time.