Senior Scientist I / II, Medicinal Chemistry
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Since 2013, AbbVie has expanded its commitment to the San Francisco Bay Area, now represented by three facilities in Redwood City, South San Francisco, Sunnyvale and a future new Bay Area headquarters in South San Francisco. AbbVie employees in the Bay Area drive AbbVie’s research-based, innovation driven missions in healthcare. Specifically, Bay Area employees bring deep scientific expertise and commercial excellence to advance cancer care. Current oncology areas of focus include immuno-oncology, tumor targeting, tumor dependency and precision medicine. With facilities positioned in the heart of the biotechnology industry, we are able to collaborate with the best and brightest minds in oncology.
Our AbbVie Bay Area (ABA) team is hiring a Senior Scientist I/II, Medicinal Chemistry. The candidate would be an integral part of a multi-disciplinary team and apply creative synthetic and analytical chemistry techniques to design and synthesize key tool compounds to support all stages of early drug discovery, from target validation to lead-optimization.
Primary Job Function:
- Conceive and execute medicinal chemistry research and development that achieves project and area goals with minimal supervisory support.
- Expertise in synthetic organic chemistry is an essential requirement of this position to drive the SAR optimization cycle to achieve project goals.
- Expected to generate new scientific synthetic and medicinal chemistry proposals and lead those efforts in a team setting.
- Investigate, identify, develop, and optimize new methods/ techniques.
- Act as a lead scientist in his/her area of expertise on one or more projects.
- Critically evaluate relevant scientific advances and integrate this knowledge into research programs.
Core Job Responsibilities:
- Maintain a high level of productivity in the laboratory setting.
- Demonstrate the ability to resolve key project hurdles and assumptions by effectively utilizing available information and technical expertise.
- Proactively seek out new information in the literature and incorporate this into individual project(s) as well as the overall program.
- Publish research in peer-reviewed journals and present work at scientific conferences.
- Effective writer and communicator of research or other regulatory materials.
- Demonstrate a high degree of responsibility in maintaining scientific standards, and safe laboratory practices for self and reporting staff, if any.
- Participate in establishing project goals, defining short and long-term scientific strategies, and contribute to the generation of project-related documents and presentations.
- Keep accurate and current records of research and/or project-related activities according to AbbVie policies.
Internal/External Contacts and Interactions:
- Use external information to gain competitive intelligence.
- Act as an advocate to integrate this knowledge into the group's research efforts.
- Generate new research or development strategies to effectively address project and divisional goals/needs.
- Collaborate with functional and technical experts to facilitate scientific achievement.
- Publish project-related research in high-impact factor peer-reviewed journals, R&D reports, patent applications and/or regulatory documents/filings.
- Responsible for compliance with applicable Corporate and Divisional Policies and procedures.
- The position will be hired based on the level of experience.
- Bachelors, Masters, PhD in Organic or Medicinal Chemistry.
- Typically, 10-12 (BS), 8-10 (MS) or 0-4+ (PhD) years of experience; Postdoctoral or pharmaceutical industry experience desirable.
- Demonstrate the ability to resolve key scientific hurdles by effectively utilizing available information and technical expertise.
- Exceptional communication skills; ability to develop, implement and clearly communicate chemistry strategies and progress to team.
- Build strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of teams to enable higher performance.
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.