Patent Administrative Paralegal
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
AbbVie, a global biopharmaceutical company, is searching for a Patent Administrative Paralegal. The successful candidate will provide global support a team of intellectual property attorneys. The position is based at AbbVie’s Bioresearch Center in Worcester, MA.
The responsibilities include:
- Project coordination and management.
- Document preparation, ensuring that documents are complete, accurate and organized; taking initiative to ensure all deadlines are met.
- Arranging and conducting meetings with scientists, inventors and other business colleagues to obtain required information, signatures and approval of IP documentation.
- Managing docket deadlines for multiple attorneys, anticipating conflicts and planning ahead.
- Retrieving documents from Lexis, USPTO PAIR System, WIPO and EPO websites.
- Collaborating with colleagues to problem solve, locate information, and find answers.
- Maintaining departmental files (both paper and electronic), as assigned, in compliance with corporate and government regulations.
- Administrative functions include: attorney calendar management, scheduling travel, managing correspondence and scheduling couriers, processing expense reports, meeting/event planning, preparing presentations from source materials, answering phones and handling teleconference and video conference set-up.
- Must adapt to shifting priorities and short timelines while maintaining high level of detail.
- B.S. or B.A. degree required.
- Paralegal certificate preferred.
- Superior organizational and communication skills.
- Self-starter able to operate with general instruction and limited supervision.
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (including Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint, and Teams), Adobe Acrobat, Zoom, and understanding of business processes and requirements.
- Prior paralegal experience preferred.
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross-functionally with partners outside of assigned group, as necessary, to enable effective and efficient Legal team operations.
- Knowledge of document management systems preferred.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Team-oriented, positive, can-do attitude and desire to be productive contributor.
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.