VP, Medical Research
Piper Companies is seeking a VP, of Medical Research in King of Prussia, PA to join an innovator in the CNS space to support the medical leadership and strategic direction of medical research activities ensuring operational excellence, integrity, and continual improvement.
Specifically the Vice President, Medical Research will be able to successfully accomplish the following responsibilities:
- Directly supervise and provide management oversight of the Clinical Operations team, and provide medical leadership in collaboration with the Vice President, Quantitative Sciences and Clinical Development.
- Work with the Chief Medical Officer to develop appropriate project plans for all development candidates. Communicate plans effectively to Clinical Operations team members, and also report project progress as requested to Senior Management and Board of Directors. Design appropriate budgets to accomplish project plans, and delegate team members accordingly.
- Organize the various functional leaders within the Clinical Operations team to effectively identify project goals, and to provide operational leadership to help the team to complete tasks on time and on budget.
- Identify needs, initiate and lead diverse strategic operational initiatives and re-challenge existing ones to improve effectiveness and efficiency. Maintain appropriate documentation of project plans including timelines, milestones and spending to budget.
- Collaborate with peer company colleagues in Medical Affairs, Quantitative Sciences, Nonclinical Development, CMC/Manufacturing, Business Development, and Commercial Affairs, and provide necessary work to complete cross-functional goals as required, ensuring an effective program of priority setting, budgeting and resource deployment across collaborating departments.
- Manage and oversee financial and budgetary aspects of Clinical Operations.
- Establish and foster professional relationships with study investigators, academic scientists, other business partners, consultants and vendors ensuring that vendor responsibilities are met, including performance, compliance and reporting.
- Possess extensive knowledge of drug development programs across all phases, clinical trials methodology, regulatory requirements for effective clinical trial management, clinical operations, and project management skills.
- Foster a collaborative, motivating, innovative, problem-solving culture and mindset and develop high-performing clinical trial management teams. Take the initiative in solving problems, not simply identifying them.
- Ensure high-quality operational execution with equal emphases on successful interpersonal communication, respect and engagement with colleagues, and scientific and strategic excellence.
- Ensure that all studies meet regulatory requirements and are conducted to GCP standards globally.
- Lead interactions with regulatory authorities and serve as the expert voice of Clinical Development on behalf of the company when necessary.
- Observe compliance with all policies, SOPs and safety guidelines
Up to 30% domestic/international travel.
Education & Experience
- At least 10 years of pharmaceutical industry experience.
- Expertise in neuroscience development is strongly preferred.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- A high level of integrity and respect for others, and a strong sense of enjoyment in seeing their team succeed.
- Capable of triaging projects in a sophisticated manner, with the ability to identify multiple potential courses of action and describe related risks of each to non-technical audiences.
- Experienced team leadership and project management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to formulate tactical and strategic recommendations to executive leadership.
- Strong presentation and communication skills (verbal and written) with ability to clearly communicate results, plans, issues, and risks.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Extensive knowledge of clinical trial methodology.