Sr. Biological Research Scientist
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Sr. Scientist will be an instrumental team leader in the Biological Research program at Allergan Aesthetics an AbbVie company. The primary role of this position is to lead discovery projects to advance the development of natural and recombinant biopharmaceutical agents as therapeutics. The candidate will lead scientists in a direct or matrix reporting structure with responsibility for identification, creation, and characterization of the biopharmaceutical agents. The ideal candidate will possess strong experience in conceptualizing and driving complex research stage projects independently as well as in a team environment. The candidate must have in-depth knowledge of protein therapeutics, cell biology, and deployment of cell-based assays, ex vivo, and in vivo pharmacology models to assess the impact of drug candidates on the peripheral nervous and other therapeutic cell system.
Furthermore, the position requires the individual to work with and in areas requiring select agents and Toxins access (i.e. Biosafety level 2 and biosafety level 3 laboratories). Access to and use of select agents is regulated by federal policies. Therefore, the candidate must conduct all work activities in compliance with AbbVie internal and applicable regulatory requirements. AbbVie internal requirements include compliance with ethics, environmental health and safety, financial, human resources, and general business policies, requirements and objectives.
- Productively lead complex projects by directing a team of strong scientists, comprised of direct reports and/or matrix team members, with the responsibility for overseeing the design, planning, execution, and interpretation of complex in vitro and in vivo pharmacological studies focused on peripheral nervous system function, with the goal of lead molecule and/or formulation selection, characterization of MOA, identification of new indications and/or alternate delivery.
- Analyze and present results to multidisciplinary teams, prepare technical reports and drive strategy and goal setting.
- Develop annual program budgets and manage research activities within approved budgets
- Identify risks within function and develop contingency plans to mitigate risk.
- Work on cross-functional teams to advance programs from research to development.
- Identify and manage external academic, government, and industrial relationships.
- Manage key documentation and inventories in compliance with Federal Regulations.
- Evaluation of internal research and development programs and open science opportunities
- Exhibit strong leadership skills, flexibility, and a commitment to scientific excellence.
- Highly motivated, hands-on experimentalist who thrives in a collaborative, multidisciplinary environment.
- Possess strong interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability for creative thinking and ability to work with diverse personnel.
- Able to have a direct impact on department or project performance.
- Ability to work within a structured environment following specific guidelines.
Education and Experience
- PhD in neuroscience, cell biology, protein engineering or a related biological science discipline with 8+ years of applied experience in the characterization and development of biopharmaceutical agents.
Essential Skills, Experience, and Competencies
- Extensive knowledge in characterizing natural and recombinant biopharmaceutical agents including leading development and performance of a wide variety of in vitro, ex vivo and in vivo pharmacological assays. In addition, to work with team members to troubleshoot with team members is a requirement.
- Demonstrated ability to productively lead and influence direct reports as well as team members in a matrix work environment is required.
- The ability to multitask and ensure flexibility in a dynamic environment is required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required as is experience with documentation of experimental plans, analyzing data and generating high quality technical reports.
- Knowledge of policies and procedures of working with regulated biological agents. Strong team leadership and motivational skills.
- Experience with proactive and critical evaluation of internal and external research and development programs and open science opportunities.
- Experience with animal handling, dosing of small or large molecules through a variety of different routes is a plus.
- Experience with pharmaceutical development processes (including, but not limited to lead characterization, target engagement, pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics, immunogenicity assessments and basic toxicology) is a plus.
- An understanding of protein engineering/design for desired biopharmaceutical characteristics is required and some experience with protein engineering is preferred.
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.