Senior Software Engineer II
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
We are looking for a developer with some ops experience. The role will be to assist in the upkeep of legacy in-house developed apps that run on Ruby and Java. Part of the role will be to manage databases for R&D and work with scientists to improve code and data access. Key responsibilities will be maintaining apps and databases and making sure they are patched per security policy. This role will work to find issues with end users’ day to day experiences and work with them to migrate to new platforms as they become available.
The candidate should be able to work with other developers’ code with little direction to solve problems. The apps run a mixture of Ruby, Java, Grails with some HTML coding required. The databases are MySQL and PostgreSQL so the candidate should be proficient in both. They will be responsible for finding out ways to optimize Ruby code and have experience migrating to new platforms. The software is deployed and managed with Jenkins, so an ability to build and automate with Jenkins is a must. Most of the work will be required to be completed on Linux platforms so understanding on the command line is a must. AbbVie embraces containerization technologies, so Docker and Kubernetes experience is a bonus.
- Assist the team’s effort around compliance with applicable corporate and divisional policies and procedures while driving security and agile focused change where needed.
- Facilitate improvements to in-house application development for the Bay Area and greater R&D.
- Manage code life cycles with code reviews and collaboration with stake holders.
- Collaborate to achieve new innovative Linux-based of deployments of apps for the Bay Area and global R&D.
- Collaborate on the creation of automation scripts for deployment on our infrastructure and applications.
- Create code and scripts in a way that they can be shared across AbbVie and reused by other teams.
- Ability to work on multiple projects and deadlines at the same time while increasing the team’s exposure to the R&D community.
- Manage Jira projects relating to the apps and code being written.
- Experience in the software field or biotech industry, developing apps or pipelines, with B.S (7 years) or M.S. (6 years) in Computer Science, Sciences, Bioinformatics, or another related field.
- Skilled use of the cli and knowledge of multiple Linux environments is essential. Docker or containerization knowledge is bonus.
- Database management and use is essential. MySQL and PostgreSQL are a must with any NoSQL or Oracle a bonus. Platform tuning, code tuning, and systems management (ssh, security, crontabs, etc.).
- Ability to create and manage Jenkins workflows. Knowledge of agile theories is also a bonus.
- Demonstration of a strong customer-centric approach, empathy for locational/cultural differences, and excellent communications skills. Proven ability to work in a highly matrixed environment.
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.