Associate Director, Innovation Commercial
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Title: Associate Director, Innovation – Commercial
Describe the primary goals, objectives or functions or outputs of this position.
Functional Overview: The Innovation group works side-by-side with the AbbVie executive team on many of the most pressing issues facing the organization, both in the short term and long term. Guidance from this team will have a direct impact on the future success of AbbVie.
Purpose: As an Associate Director of Innovation, you will partner with leaders across AbbVie, be a high performing team member who has demonstrated an interest and expertise in the biopharma industry, demonstrate strong desire to advance our strategic agenda and support mission-critical initiatives that will make a real difference for AbbVie’s patients. The Innovation group will provide high profile and high impact development experiences for team members.
The position requires strong analytical skills, the ability to translate strategic vision into tactical action, identify the highest impact ideas and plans and focus efforts to work well in a cross-functional team.
- Develop cross-functional understanding of highest-priority commercial questions, identify the most critical issues, collaborate cross-functionally with commercial teams and other functions to develop solutions, and provide strategic direction to ensure optimal outcomes.
- Translate strategic vision into tactical action, identify the highest impact ideas and plans, and focus efforts to work well across commercial priorities.
- Brings rigorous conceptual thinking to answer key commercial questions for AbbVie leveraging internal and external intelligence and resources as required.
- Monitor, understand, and prioritize market trends of relevance across TAs, and help determine how AbbVie should prepare and respond.
- Lead executive-level discussions to influence complex business decisions and effectively collaborate cross-functionally to deliver business results.
- Partner with VP and executive level stakeholders, acting as a thought-partner on key business decisions that impact the current and future state of AbbVie.
- Exemplify AbbVie leadership principles and provide innovative, strategic, and evidence-based support to lead and create opportunity for innovation.
- Provide project management guidance for strategic planning processes for key projects.
- Bachelors or equivalent degree required. Advanced degree (PharmD, PhD, MD, MBA) highly preferred.
- Minimum years of experience - 6+ with Bachelors, 4+ with Masters and 2+ with PHD
- Experience managing large projects within a complex matrixed organization as a consultant to a pharmaceutical organization, either as an external consultant or an internal cross-functional lead.
- Strong project management skills
- Ability to lead individual modules within complex, cross-functional initiatives, including driving the problem-solving process and supporting research and analytics, and distilling pragmatic recommendations for management consideration.
- Highly collaborative, genuinely enjoys working hand-in-hand with the businesses to develop solutions that advance AbbVie’s overall mission.
- Strong communication skills, can comfortably lead meetings with mid/senior-level management.
- Sound business judgment
- Drive, energy, and passion to advance AbbVie’s mission.
Significant Work Activities
Yes, 5 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.