Sr. Scientist I, Translational Oncology, Precision Medicine
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Precision Medicine Translational Oncology group is committed to drive translational and biomarker efforts for our pre-clinical and clinical stage programs. We are seeking a highly motivated Senior Scientist with a passion for oncology research, and a proven track record of research accomplishments, who enjoys working in a fast-paced and dynamic environment. The successful candidate will work both within the Translational Oncology group and as a member of cross-functional interdisciplinary teams. The candidate is expected to design and execute experiments independently to enhance our translational and biomarker research.
- Independently conceive and execute hypothesis driven research projects in the field of Translational Oncology and biomarkers discovery
- Identify pharmacodynamic biomarkers, tumor indications, patient sensitivity and selection biomarkers, and mechanism-based drug combinations for AbbVie Oncology pipeline
- Utilize broad technical expertise in cell biology, tumor cell biology, immune cell biology, and in vivo animal models to design in vitro, in vivo, and ex vivo experiments to expand translational and biomarkers research
- Articulate hypotheses, workplans, and effectively present results to a variety of audiences in both oral and written communications
- Interact with cross-functional teams to establish productive collaborations within and outside of AbbVie
- Train and guide colleagues in established methodology, troubleshooting of assays, and in the development of novel techniques
Basic Qualifications Include:
- Senior Scientist II: M.D. and/or PhD; MS; BS in Cancer Biology, Cell Biology, Molecular Biology, Immunology, Immuno-Oncology or related field with 0+ years (PhD); 8+ years (MS); or 10+ years (BS)
- Demonstrated critical thinking skills as well as excellence and productivity in independent research. Demonstrated ability to independently design, execute and interpret critical experiments to answer scientific questions
- Expertise in human immunology, cancer immunotherapy, oncology, cancer signaling pathways, or translational research is highly desirable
- Experience with immunological techniques (flow cytometry, intracellular staining, cytotoxicity assays, ELISA, ELISpot, etc.) primary cell culture, tissue processing, as well as standard molecular biology and biochemical techniques
- Demonstrated ability to learn, understand and master new experimental techniques
- Demonstrated scientific writing skills and strong verbal communication skills
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced, multi-disciplinary, matrixed environment. Demonstrated ability to work successfully in a team environment
- Must be proactive and able to work effectively on multiple projects in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Be versed in the current state of the science of the tumor microenvironment and the interplay between immune cells, stroma and tumor cells
- Hands-on experience in analysis of complex data sets (RNASeq, Nanostring, high-dimenstional FACS, scRNASeq, etc)
- Familiarity with biomarker discovery and translational research
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 5 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.