Manager, Maintenance and Controls/ Section Manager, Maintenance and Controls
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Manager, Maintenance and Controls
The incumbent will provide technical expertise to lead the maintenance and troubleshooting activities in the AP39 Oral Solid Dose Pilot Plant.
Using proven control system and programmable controller programming knowledge, the incumbent will identify equipment/system malfunctions and will work to reduce and prevent plant downtime where possible.
In addition to supervision of 2 – 4 mechanical/process technicians, this role will manage and take ownership of the facility systems and provide front line support of plant control systems.
This position is responsible for managing day-to-day activities of the department including first line downtime support, assignment of work, Performance Excellence, skills development and management of the PM and Calibration programs using Maximo.
Using proven control system knowledge, the incumbent will identify equipment/system malfunctions and will work to reduce and prevent plant downtime where possible.
This role will also provide planning and execution of new engineering projects that support operations and drive process improvements.
This person represents the organization as the prime technical contact on contracts and projects. Interacts with both senior management and external personnel on significant technical matters often requiring coordination between organizations.
The incumbent follows through on project goals, establishes support networks, contributes willingly and incorporates the ideas of others; shares resources, knowledge and accountability to benefit the objectives of the business, e.g., in team meetings, serves as functional subject matter expert in design reviews.
- Provide strong leadership to the technical staff in the coordination and execution of maintenance and calibration activities and related facilities operations activities. Track performance with monthly maintenance metrics. Continually evaluates and balances production support and maintenance needs with long term strategic objectives.
- Use troubleshooting skills to solve problems and reduce downtime. Provide first line troubleshooting for controls/ PLC/ HMI downtime.
- Develop PLC programs to solve plant issues.
- Manage OSI PI updates and modifications and provide downtime support.
- Serves as a project manager and site engineer for departmental and other divisional initiatives and capital projects. Leads members of the organization in the development of the budget, scope and schedule for major projects.
- Manage plant shutdowns and supervise activities of AbbVie support groups and external contractors.
- Responsible for ensuring equipment reliability expectations are achieved.
- Performs validation/qualification for modifications as required.
- Applies technology in innovative ways. Combines technologies to anticipate or address customer needs; employs proven solutions to increase effectiveness of engineering methodology or manufacturing process.
- College Degree or equivalent experience. Strong problem solving and analysis skills are required. A technical degree (Engineering or Science) is preferred.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in chemical/pharmaceutical processing equipment maintenance, facilities maintenance, electrical and controls maintenance/troubleshooting or a combination thereof. Minimum 4 years previous supervisory / management experience.
- Experience in a cGMP environment is highly desired.
- Experience with electrical drawings and Rockwell Software RSLogix 5000 or comparable software is highly desired.
Key Leadership Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of the immediate team to enable higher performance
- Learns fast, grasps the “essence” and can change course quickly where indicated
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experiments to drive the science in the field of interest
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality
- Grade level of the position is commensurate with experience and education experience.
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 5 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.