Scientist I – Discovery Research
Scientist I - Discovery Research
Mapp Biopharmaceutical, Inc. "Mapp" is a San Diego based, innovative biopharmaceutical company focused on addressing unmet medical needs through the development of life-saving monoclonal antibody treatment options to combat a variety of neglected and tropical infectious diseases, and in support of biodefense programs.
The Early Research and Development Group (ER&DG) and the Advanced Research and Development Group (AR&DG) at Mapp Biopharmaceutical are responsible for the execution of high quality Research and Development activities to ensure the achievement of robust portfolio with the CMC, Preclinical/Nonclinical (together, "Nonclinical"), Regulatory and Clinical development goals consistent with the product development objectives of Mapp.
The Scientist I work in ER&DG and AR&DG which is responsible for isolating novel antibodies that may be used in future drug products. The Scientist I is responsible for executing a variety protocols related to antibody discovery, as well as supporting ERDG laboratory personnel in meeting their research objectives.
- BA/BS or MS in a relevant scientific discipline
- 10 years of experience with a BA/BS or 7 years of experience with a MS in a research laboratory environment
- Ability to independently contribute to scientific research programs in the Antibody Discovery and Research Group
- Demonstrated excellence in the design and cloning of expression vectors for multiple recombinant cell expression systems
- Prior experience with flow cytometry and fluorescence activated single cell sorting (FACS) based techniques
- Prior experience expressing and purifying recombinant proteins
- Proven ability to reliably manage samples in high-throughput format
- Excellent asceptic technique for cell culture
- Ability to work independently and effectively troubleshoot experimental strategies in the laboratory
- Attention to detail and keen scientific observation
- Previous experience purifying and characterizing monoclonal antibodies
- Experience operating a robotic liquid handler
- Experience running Akta FPLCs and GE unicorn software
- Development of novel technology and/or methodology to increase laboratory capabilities
- Authorship on multiple scientific publications in respected peer reviewed journals
- Contributed to the preparation of government grant and/or contract proposals
- Independently designs and executes critical experiments
- Contributes to data and analyses to support writing of publications and grant applications
- Develops novel technology and/or methodology to increase laboratory capabilities
- Flow cytometry and cell sorting
- Uses flow cytometry to analyze a variety of cell types
- Uses fluorescence-activated cell sorting to isolate cell types of interest
- Comfortable handling serum/cells from a variety of sources (e.g. human, NHP, mouse)
- Reliably performs high-throughput/plate-based assays for RT-PCR, PCR, cloning, bacterial culture, mini-preps and sequencing
- Upstream building of expression vectors for multiple recombinant cell expression systems
- PCR and vector design for high-throughput cloning and expression strategies of both antigen and antibodies
- Synthesis and/or fragment recovery of multiple elements used in expression vectors
- Assembly, cloning and confirmatory sequencing of fragments in expression vectors
- Troubleshooting expression vectors which perform poorly and designing mutants to overcome expression problems
- Recombinant protein expression and cell culture
- Capable of manipulating bacterial, insect cell, and mammalian cell (HEK293 and CHO) based protein expression systems
- Optimizes expression constructs for protein stability, solubility and expression levels.
- Protein purification
- Purification of antigens of interest to a purity level that will allow for the isolation of high quality antibodies
- Purification of antibodies from cell supernatant
- Familiar with the operation of an AKTA Xpress, AKTA Pure, and/or AKTA Avant FPLC
- Able to program FPLCs with GE Unicorn software
- Familiar with multiple types of affinity chromatography media and their application
- Performs analytical assays
- UV Spectrophotometry for determining antibody concentration
- Uses a combination of SEC, SDS-PAGE and/or western blots to evaluate protein composition, stability or structural integrity
- ELISA-based EC50 determination of an IgG binding to its target ligand
- Operate a ForteBio Octet 96 (BLI) for quantitative and/or kinetics based assays
- Manages multiple projects concurrently in the laboratory
- Anticipates and executes experiments to move projects forward without prompting
- Communicates with and manages collaborating scientists to ensure projects continue to progress efficiently
- Maintains detailed and legible records of all experiments performed
- Effectively presents and communicates experimental results to the group
Mapp offers a competitive compensation and benefits package in addition to this exciting and challenging job. You will enjoy a flexible, collaborative and rewarding environment in San Diego. Mapp wants you to join their team and invites you to apply.
No Solicitors, agents or placement agencies please. Mapp utilizes E-Verify.
Mapp is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Disability/Veterans Employer Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.