Scientist I/II/III Biochemistry
Are you ready to join our mission to enhance protein function and production? Do you have a passion for applying innovative technology to create novel products? Come be part of the Codexis, Inc. team where every day we get to unlock the power of proteins®!
Since 2002, Codexis’ scientists and bioinformatics experts have worked collaboratively with our clients to do just that, enabling breakthrough developments for applications across multiple industries! As Codexis expands its footprint we are in constant need to find new ways to diversify applications of our CodeEvolverTM protein engineering platform.
But we can’t do it without YOU!
To help us meet this goal we are looking for a highly motivated Scientist (I/II/III) to join our Biochemistry Team. As part of this team you will be responsible for the design and execution of enzymatic assays of various throughput and complexity. This will include isolation and characterization of key enzymes associated with our novel biosynthetic reactions. The candidate will work in a fast-paced environment across different projects under tight timelines. This is a hands-on position that will allow you to demonstrate your skills in protein expression and purification, enzyme kinetics, developing biochemical and biophysical assays/screens and working with analytical techniques such as FPLC, HPLC, GC/FID, GC/MS, LC/MS, fluorescence-UV-visible spectroscopic methods and requires excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
If any of the below describes you, we would love to meet you!
- Do you enjoy problem solving and take initiative seeking ways to optimize existing processes?
- Are you passionate about engineering and characterizing proteins to change the world and improve the quality of life?
- Are you able to think creatively to develop out of the box solutions to reach your goals?
- Do you thrive in a diverse and collaborative team environment?
In this role you will be responsible for:
- Optimizing growth and target protein expression in Bacillus and/or Pichia hosts.
- Developing purification protocols and characterizing proteins from microbial sources.
- Developing and implementing miniaturized biochemical assays to evaluate enzyme function.
- Evaluating and implementing different analytical methods to quantify enzyme activities in complex environments.
- Providing technical guidance for protein engineering projects.
- Managing analysis of large data sets using statistical tools and utilization of the LIMS system to track samples and analyses.
- Working independently and with project teams to provide support and assistance to all phases of directed evolution projects and contributing to team presentations and written reports.
- Maintaining a safe and efficient workplace, following safe lab practices and organizing lab environment.
To be successful in this role, your background and experience should include:
- MS in Biochemistry, Microbiology, Biology or related fields with 6-8 years of relevant experience or PhD in the similar fields with 2-5 years relevant experience. Level of hiring will be based on the candidate’s experience and capabilities.
- Industry experience preferred.
- Hands-on experience with optimizing Bacillus and/or Pichia growth and target protein expression in shake flask or high-throughput scale. Excellent grasp of microbial physiology.
- Experience with developing and implementing protocols for protein expression in Bacillus and/or Pichia.
- Protein/enzyme characterization, including expression, purity, and activity measurements.
- Excellent grasp of chemical and biochemical principles. Familiarity with the concept of directed evolution, enzyme cascades, and biocatalysis.
- Understanding of analytical separation, detection, and measurement concepts. Prior experience with different chromatography systems, fluorescence-UV-visible spectroscopy, or other analytical techniques desirable.
- Ability to provide technical vision, leadership, and guidance to project teams.
- Ability to prioritize responsibilities, multi-task, think critically, and work both independently and within cross-disciplinary project teams in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent communication (oral and written), documentation (record keeping, lab notebook, reports, SOPs), organization and interpersonal skills.
- Attention to detail, safety, and good laboratory practices.
What can Codexis offer you? (besides an amazing and collaborative culture?)
- Full benefits on your first day
- 100% match on 401k (up to 4%)
- Generous flex time off
- Fitness reimbursement
- Free fitness classes
- Back up child/dependent care
- Commuter vouchers
- Much more!
PRINCIPALS ONLYNO AGENCIES OR THIRD PARTIES
Codexis is an equal opportunity employer & prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, disability, marital & veteran status.